How can I stop being afraid and worried over the mistakes I made in a past job?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys

I hope all is well with you lately.

I'm 26 and recently I have been remembering the terrible mistakes I made in my job as a waiter about one and a half years ago.

During that job I remember the inappropriate things I was called up for by customers such as flirting with women, also mentioning that I was homophobic when I'm not to my manager in a joke. It was one of those times I think I was having many hypos as I am diabetic, which lead to me saying and doing things which were totally wrong and inappropriate. As a result I was fired after being given several warnings by my line managers, for committing these mistakes will still on probation and being out of line.

However anytime I remember this, I fear that I may be called up in the future over those things I did. I was also banned from that bar, but I hated the people i worked with there anyway they were so nasty and mean to me all the time.

How do I get over that terrible time and the fear that something may happen to from those terrible awful mistakes. Thanks for any advice, hope to resolve this issue once and for all somehow.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did you learn a lesson from this? Do you realize what you did wrong?

If so, move on. Don’t do those things again and use it as a learning experience. We all do and say things that we regret. That is how we learn.

Try to find another job and before you speak, think about what happened and think twice about what you are going to say or do,

It will be ok. Don’t worry yourself sick over this. Nobody is going to call or contact you about what happened.

You will do just fine.

• Posted

Hi adam76 - I worked in hospitality for 25 years and did everything from gutter pubs right up to five star deluxe, served all sorts of famous and notorious persons, and even was  butler for six months. It's a very sociable job, and I was fortunate to meet many fascinating and hilarious people. Of course, there is an etiquette to follow in the business because most businesses in that genre rely on return customers. You were warned several times about your behaviour and then fired for it. You were also banned from the bar. My advice is not to mention the place when you are applying for other jobs. Hopefully you have learned from it, and that being the case, draw a line under it and move on. Just do better next time - particularly if you are working with the public. No good dwelling on the negative - we all make mistakes, but it's all a learning process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.