How can I stop the itching caused by carbimazole?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started taking carbimazole 2 weeks ago and yesterday came out in a horrendous itchy rash. The doctors have given me antihistamines which have helped but I can't stop the itching in my hands, I'm going crazy has anyone found anything that helps?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What dosage are you on?  If a high dosage, your doc may want to lower it.  I used to get a big welt on my forehead and finally I put some Betamethasone scalp lotion (liquid steroid lotion) on a cotton pad and rubbed it across the lesion and it immediately started to go away.  It was like after I did that, it was telling my immune system "go to sleep, false alarm".  I have a friend who had a rash on her face, she was allergic to polyester and even though she avoided polyester, she put this scalp lotion on her face and it has disappeared for the first time in a long time.

• Posted

I've tried steroid cream and it does nothing . I'm on 30mg once a day 

• Posted

what dosage are you on? 

i was on Methimezole 60-80mg a day.  had horrible hives first. then my joints started hurting. I have another thread here in the forum

see https://patient.info/forums/discuss/methimazole-side-effects-endo-says-thyroid-removal--629531

i have to stop the methimazole and am currently on oral steriod.  I am on my second day of oral steriod, and my hives are much better.  i still have some joint muscle pain, but at least i can move my arm

• Posted

I ha rnt taken my carbimazole today I can't bare to. Think I'll have to come off it too

• Posted

Katy, l had full body itching and done the same with the doc and anti-histimines which stopped being effective. I then found a tip online saying 2 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in your bath might help so tried that and never had any itchiness since. Not so sure about it just being your hands but might be worth a go!! Take care D
    • Posted

Thanks I'll try it, I'll try anything  lol

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I've stopped the carbimazole now and started a course of steroids.  It's settling slowly. Hope you are all doing ok

• Posted

did your doctor tell u to stop the carbimazole? does he/she plan on putting u back on carbimazole once your rash stopped?
    • Posted

She said to stop at the moment and she's going to speak to the endocrine consultant about what to do next. 

• Posted

I hope she doesn't just abruptly stop your steroids.  Usually you have to lower your dose gradually.  I found for myself with Methimazole also as my labs improved that the lowering of the dosage had to be in small amounts as well.  

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I think some of us had to stop for a while to let the side effects to go away.  My side effects were very severe, whole body hives, skin felt it was being fried constantly, couldn't touch anything.  I also think methimazole have a long half live??? that my overdosage of methimazole still has some left in my system 

• Posted

I agree if you get such an allergic reaction as some have posted here, you do have to stop the carbimazole or methimazole entirely while using steroids to treat.  I was thinking of when you have a dose that isn't high but you need to decrease your Carb or Meth because your results are improving, then you have to lower dosage slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.