How can i tell if i’m depressed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, 

Firstly i find this whole thing hard to explain and be open about but i have been doing a lot of research about how i have been feeling recently and everything seems to point at the possibility that i could be mildly depressed. 

I’m unsure if this is the case and i wanted to explain a bit to a person instead of an online test that could be biased in the way of telling me i need to speak to a professional in favour of safety. 

Basically i’m 34 years old and would say i have done a lot in my life compared to the average person. I come from a very proud and male orientated family so talking about emotions is and always will be a bit of a taboo subject. I had always been a very active person with plenty of hobbies and a good social life. Things started to change around 5 years ago after i lots a father to a long cancer battle. His death pushed me in to the family business which i knew nothing about and this was a largely stressful time which took my mind away from grief. I had a lot of support from a new girlfriend at the time which was a welcome distraction but this only went so far. Since then the family business went through a liquidation leaving the family and me personally in a lot of financial difficulty. The last few years have been nothing but a stressful challenge. It has gone on for so long i now feel lost within myself. I am regularly a ball of stress and anger, I have no interest in being active or even wanting to leave the house unless i am distracting myself. Im a strong minded person and when i put my mind to something i can achieve a lot but lately i lack motivation to even get up because i struggle with sleep. I feel like a constant failure and i let down to everyone around me. Its resulted in me now having nothing or no one and pretty much at rock bottom. I’m having a surge of emotions that i’m not really sure what to do with and have been for some time that i just keep buried. I’m angry at myself for even feeling these emotions as it feels weak. 

I have always viewed stress and depression as not a real problem but i know that my personality has now totally changed to what it used to be. My lust for life and fun has gone. I use constant work and drink to distract myself from everything and at this point when everything else has give i’m worried about whats left to go.

Advice please

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi everybody has emotions and needs to feel them even men otherwise you can't have a rich satisfying life.  It's certainly not a weakness.  I know it's very tempting but the worst thing you can do is push your emotions down.  You need to learn to feel them and how to deal with them so I think counselling would help you a lot. 

Oh and I will leave you with one little fact.  The most common cause of death in western civilisation for men aged between 25-40 is suicide.  All those poor men who think having feelings is weak and refuse to talk about them to others.  Don't let your upbringing and male ego get in the way of a much happier life.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.