How can I work out what to eat with diverticula disease?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

After an attack of what turned out to be diverticulitis two months ago I had a Sigmoidoscopy a month ago which confirmed the diagnosis. For the last three weeks I've had mild to moderate LHS pain most days most of the time but not every day and not all day.

Although I am keeping a food diary I am finding it impossible to work out what I should be eating to avoid pain. Some people on this forum are certain what causes problems, but I'm not sure of the time scale involved. Is the food you ate yesterday causing the pain today or the food you consume today? 

I should be very grateful for any input. I feel so frustrated and somewhat desperate. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

So, I am exactly in the same spot.! My big question is to eat fiber or not? I guess important to drinks lots of water. Originally I went to ER with burning pain only in lower left belly. Id was diverticulitis from scan. 6 weeks later I had full colonoscopy and endocospy. Significant micosis in sigmoid area. No barretts in esophogus and two biopsies in stomach were clean. Also found moderate hiatal hernia. Dr. said colon was fine. Since then it has been pain all across lower belly hip to hip and bloating high on stoamch. Pain can be sharp burning or almost like a pin stabbing. Very annoying and just waiting for all symptoms to disappear but not happening yet. Playing the eat and wait game though trying to avoid seeds and the like even though Doc's say it is ok to eat them. So, I'm sorry you are going through this, it sucks... I did find a hot bath helped and not to overeat... Good luck and I will post if some miracle breakthrough..Hurts to put on shoes. I'm still walking and Yoga (both help) and urinating is different; a little more urgent and it just feels different.

• Posted

Thanks for your support. I have started Tai Chi which I think helps and walking is indeed good, also standing on tiptoes! Sitting isn't good and bending down is horrid. Good luck, hope things will improve for you, too, and for all the other sufferers on this forum. 

• Posted

Wow what a question l don't have a clue. I personally cannot eat any format of bread so l eat wholegrain crackers. I cannot eat broccoli or cauliflower as they give me cramps and flatulence email. Drink lots of water and nothing fizzy and l avoid anything that is hard to digest ie red meat as it takes a lot of chewing l also avoid anything with seeds as they may get caught in any of the pouches and cause infection. I now eat small meals and never eat untill I'm stuffed but expect everyone is different

• Posted

Hi, I always look back two days at what I ate. I think the hard to digest stuff can take that long to get through. I suspect if you are vegetarian or vegan then it would go through more quickly.

I have found red meat and processed meat like bacon or sausages, too much cheese, particularly melted, pastry beyond a small amount and anything too greasy gives me trouble. I stick with very small portions of these and never two days in a row. That doesn't always work, but most of the time I can manage it with careful eating on other days. I avoid seeds, nuts and skins all the time. Good luck.

• Posted

Did you have to take Anitibotics?
    • Posted

I did. Cypro and Flagyl. Just glad I din't have Barretts... the colonoscopy said I have a redundant lower intestine. So, I've probably got to improve my diet though in as much as I've always eaten bad stuff, I always offest with fruits and veg and exercise. Hiatal hernia was medium not moderate and I also have a hernia on lower left groin area.

• Posted

I feel the The food i eat today affects me today as in IBS. As it digests I feel it later or the next few days affects my diverticulosis or when it inflames the diverticula which in turn can cause diverticulitis. Just my opinion.
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. The time scale thing remains incalculable; I shall plod on and just hope that things settle eventually. 

At least I'm in good company!

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up