how can you get ibs from antacid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I came off Omeprazole and went through the worst rebound I have ever experienced, now i am on ranitidine, what was supposed to be a 6 week course of ant acids turned out to be nearly 2 years. Whilst rebounding from omeprazole I developed severe burning in my stomach, dreadful bloating, a high liver elevation and chronic right upper quadrant pain, still bloating badly and this is after 10 months, I had nothing like this before, everything agrivates it, still I don't have the runs or get constipated but the pain is horrendous. Anyone have any ideas what it is... Been told its IBS, I'm not sure but is, I'm not going wild and thinking cancer but I am truly in agony. Had CT 6 months ago, had mild mesenteric penniculitis as a side effect from pills but they said this couldn't be causing the pain. Anyone experienced anything like this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My cousin has what you have Mutley on phone to me yesterday said she went to get her prescription of Ranitidine filled at all the chemist shops in our area only to find she can't get them  money was issue to NHS so don't know what she's going to do only thing that helps her.she has IBS for years. So if you need those tablets in future you might be unable to get them unless you pay privately check it out in your area .
  • Posted

Hey I am currently taking Omeprazole along with Alendronic Acid, Oral Steroid and Adcal D3.. Iv'e been suffering with bad stomach cramps and occasionally diorrhea. I went to the Drs and explained and she said it is probably IBS so now im taking 2x Buscopan four times a day and it seems to eaze the pain. Im still getting nervous about going out and stuff but I suppose Ill have to get used to it.
  • Posted

Hello Mutley,

I would HIGHLY recommend you get off all drugs. You are burning the village to save it! Your liver (upper right quadrant) cannot handle all those chemicals it has to process.

Lifestyle changes are the way to take care of digestive issues. Milk for example causes not only acid stomach but cramping. Fried foods are terrible for acid stomach/reflux. Overeating is another issue. Your body is your temple. Take care of it. Treat it well and it will serve you well. If you sincerely want to be well, do the following: (believe it or not, some people like being sick victims.)

1. Drink lots of water.

2. your dinner plate should be colourful; broccoli, green beans, carrots, red cabbage, mixed greens salad, red peppers etc.. Most of your plate should be of vegetables.

3. Drink a morning smoothie made in the blender with berries, melon and almond milk.

4. No more dairy in any form. It causes bloating and cramps.

5.Eat many smaller meals but nothing after 7 pm at night or you risk getting acid reflux when you lie down.

6. No processed foods.

7. Cut out sweets except for special occasions.

8. Take a teaspoon of psyllium in a full glass of water every day to keep 'things' running smoothly and as an additional benefit, rids your body of cholesterol. At bedtime take 3 or 4 tablets of magnesium as a natural and gentle laxative...and as an additional benefit, it is a brain nutrient. You will see your memory improve.

9. Get an app for your smart phone or buy a wrist device to track your steps and make sure you do at least 5000 per day...if you don't go to a gym

10. Be positive and bring joy to others.

Just as you treat others well and make those around you feel better for having met you that day, you do the same to your own body...and like with your friends and acquaintances, you and your body will have an excellent relationship.

Good luck, Mutley!

Robin in Montreal

• Posted

Hi Robin

Thank you for your help, I do believe if I follow a strict regime that things might improve for me. Right now with everything that is happening in my life I'm finding it hard to follow anything. I used to be so disciplined now I fear everything that is a change. I really want to jump in a car and head to a retreat. sad but true. My liver can't take medication, but I have barratts and that's worrying. milanils are covered in white spots and I have god awful tinnitus, I think zinc deficiency but dr just blew me out, she won't give md blood tests to check my liver or vitamins, b12 nothing. I have problems with all. She just gets narked  with me. I feel battered down and dreadful, but I hold on to the hope that I'll be cycling 150 miles a week and walking in the mountains again, it's been 18 months since I last did this.  It is now 8 weeks since I had my last ct scan and I still haven't got results, I have to wait until October.  I will do what you suggest but my partner left me for a second time after 22 years and I am the only person who is going through grief and putting on weight. It certainly hasn't curbed my appetite. Poetic... When things settle I am starting a new regime and yes I will follow your suggestions and thank you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.