How do I cope with a daughter with GAD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I am hoping some people might have some advice for my mum ....... here are her words (she is not great at IT).

'I am struggling with my daughters mood changes and the hurtful comments that she makes to me which makes me feel that her GAD is caused by me. I feel unable to help her other than to prepare meals, do washing and take her dog for a walk. I try to talk about normal things but feel this places more pressure on her and is not helpful to her recovery.'

'Does anyone living along side someone with GAD and cannot understand the illness have any tips on how I can cope as well as offer support to her?'

(I am a busy working female, she currently has left her house and moved in with me. She is off work and we are in week 8 of her crisis. We have been here before and I am usually able to help but not this time. She usually gets back to work quite quickly and her own home soon after. This is the third crash in 4.5 years)

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Can no-one at all provide any advice?

I guess that sums up a lot for my mum. She cannot access any support at all

• Posted

Hey hun I don't really know wht to say as my nana has gad and is actually in a home now but I have gad myself more health worry then anything though I know my nana feels she cannot be alone so I offered to stay with hee as I'm the same I can not be on my own the only thing I would say to your mum is because your moods change he so often just like my nanas I try to make her laugh I take everything she is saying and doing into account still and cuddle her ect try calm her down ect but I start laughing and joking about which sometimes frustrates her but it does calm her down is they any support groups in your area maybe your mum could go with you there and she would learn so much about anxitey they should be able to give her some advice on how to deal /cope with the situation
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish my mum knew how bad I feel and would ask that question. Anyway, I have suffered from severe anxiety for 17 years. When I was still living with my parents I just wished they could hug me and tell me that everything would be ok. That they could have explained that it was an anxiety disorder and that having intrusive thoughts were part of and that it was the adrenaline causing all those awful symptoms/feelings. I also wished they could have said we will find you the right therapist to help you. It won't be like this forever you are just having a blip.... Breathe everything is ok, I'm here for you and I will look after you.

That's personally what I was after and I know it would have helped me immensely. I'm still after this now... Someone I can open up to and rely on if I need to. My parents live abroad and you can be sure that every time I have to see them I feel so anxious that it ruins everything sad I don't know why but I wish they knew exactly how I felt. It would make things so much better, relaxing and hopefully enjoyable.

Try to reassure your daughter but distract her from her own thoughts. Try to get her to participate or to start a new hobby. All those things help me, I try to keep busy even if I don't feel like it. I push myself as I know that I will recover faster (with the help of medication). Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Babette,

Thanks for you message of support. Can I ask if you live alone? How do you cope with your support being in a different country? How do you manage your own symptoms? I am so bad at helping myself. I get so paralysed that I just cannot drive myself forwards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.