How do I get a SECOND OPINION on options to manage my fibroid?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have read that as a patient I can ask for a second opinion on how to manage my large uterine mass.

I would like to talk to another consultant gynaecologist in another hospital to discuss options on managing my large uterine mass, how do I do it ?

Do I need to book an appointment with my GP to request a letter of referral ? Do I pop in to the GP Practice reception and ask for a referral ?

Do I ask my GP to transfer me as a patient from one hospital to another ? How does it work ?

I have been a patient in one hospital, there are the results of my CT investigation and my MRIs investiations and my patient notes. Do I need to request my notes and the results of my investigations to be transferred from one hospital to another if I decide to change to another gynaecology team in another hospital ? Or the hospital does everything ? How does it work ?

Also, my uterine mass is starting to get painful from time to time, shall  I go to A+E to another hospital to see another consultant gynaecologist or they would not attend me without a referral from my GP if I am already a gynaecologist patient in another hospital  ?

Your replies would be much appreciated, thanks,


0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted


    i was sent to a different hospital a couple of years ago but the consultant at that hospital said that she could not do the procedure that i wanted so i told her i did not want what she wanted so i left it for about 2 years and suffered this time i went back to my gp who is new to our surgery so she did not know about this and i told her what had happened and asked that she sent me to a different hospital and she did so hunni i think you should go to your gp express your concerns and ask to be sent to a different hospital hope you get sorted out

    take care


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      That is good to know that your GP referred you to another hospital. I will speak to my GP next week because I want a second opinion.

      Thanks for your reply.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      Hope you get the result you want it's so frustrating to be ill and know what you want and not get it some Dr's are jobs worths but some really care about what they do I found a beautiful consultant she listened and understood the pain I have suffered for so long

      You take care

      Big hugs


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    My GP reffered me to my local hosptial first. I was discharged from here after being told I had a large fibroid, with no treatment options. When I went back to my GP and told her what had happened, she put me onto an "urgent pathway" request at another gyna hospital dept so I would return to your gp and say you are not happy.

    As far as i know they did not get my old notes as they were a year out of date, they did their own scans and tests. but they should be able to send over notes between hospitals.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up