How do I get my doctor to perscribe me Orlistat ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

How do I get my doctor to perscribe me Orlistat ?

I was promised after christmas , but since then my main GP has gone long term sick. and i have been passed around least 4 diferent locum doctors......

One said loose weight and come back.

I did.

Since then three locums have blank refused to perscribe it with two of them saying it dosent work or I dont need it

I am a 5'10\" male weighing in at around 22 1/2 stones with High Blood presure & Colorestorol.

any Ideas ?

Anybody else had this problem ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Mr E

I am not sure whether you would be excepted to have Orlistat due to you having high blood pressure, as whilst I was on these tablets I saw the nurse every two weeks and she prescribed the tablets and took my blood pressure every time?

I would ask your doctor, and then he/she maybe able to advise on suitable alternatives? Just explain that you are having trouble loosing weight and due to your weight it is upsetting you, making you depressed, that is all I said and then I went on these tablets I lost over a stone. Anyway I hope your doctor helps?

Regards

SES x

• Posted

Hi Mr E

I had similar problems when i lived at home, it was a small rural doctors and they were very set in their ways, eat sensibly and exercise.

the thing they dont understand is the tablets almost police the way you eat because you know there are reprocussions. i moved to manchester earlier this year and my doctor happily prescribed them, it may sound harsh but why not say you're considering sugery as these tablets are a much less-harsh solution.

Let us know how you get on, failing prescription try to eat a low fat diet and keep chatting to others on here to help with the motivation.

Best of Luck

Carley

• Posted

Would be good to find out why they don't think it's for you - as someone says if it's for a medical reason then that's valid, if it's because they think you should be doing it through just diet and exercise they obviously haven't had to lose weight themselves !

If you have excluded a medical reason and they still don't seem keen you can ask to see the practice nurse and discuss it with her. She can't prescribe herself but they're often much better at understanding how difficult it is, especially if you have alot of weight to lose and might be able to persuade them to change their minds.

The last resort (and definitely only if you know it's safe for you) is to get hold of 'Alli', which is an over the counter half strength version of orlistat. It works in exactly the same way (and gives you the same side effects if you eat high fat food) but the results may be more gradual. It is more expensive but it may give you a feel for whether the prescription version would give you the kind of help to lose weiht that you need.

Good luck

• Posted

I take tablets for high blood pressure and was prescribed them no problem. Don't understand why you weren't given them. I'd go back and ask why.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.