How do I get off Tramadol 50mg?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am also 10 weeks post TKR and still have stiffness in thigh, knee, calf areas and a little pain. Today I am trying to come off Tramadol and feel miserable: sweats, loose stools, a little shaky. I still take a muscle relaxant (Robaxin 500mg) every 6 hrs which helps with the tightness (stiffness) and Celebrex at night. I have 2 more days of PT left. I might have to take 1 Tramadol 50mg to get thru PT. Any suggesstions would also be helpful to withdraw from Tramadol!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Replace tramadol with alive, Advil, or ibuprofen.
    • Posted

I can't.....I take a blood thinner (Eliquis) for AFIB. ES Tylenol does nothing!!!

• Posted

I would talk to your doctor. I'm on melaxicom. It doesn't seem to work but I guess the pain could be worse. Hope you get a solution. Be blessed!

• Posted

Omg the Tramadol is a nightmare to get off of. I had a terrible time with it just like you. No cold turkey. That will cause horrible withdrawal symptoms. Try weaning slowly. Like only take a half every few pills. Then try eliminating one pill. Just go really slow. Please keep me informed. I ended up in the Emergency Room because I ran out and had to go cold turkey. God bless you.
  • Posted

Work with your doc but titrating down from a med usually involves halving the dosage (snap the tab in half or use a pill cutter) on alternate days (50...25...50...25) until you feel stable and then switch to 25 mg full time, again until you feel stable.  Then cut the half in half so you do 25...12.5...25...12.5; and then 12.5 full time.  Finally, 12.5...0...12.5...0 and then nothing.

The time between downward levels is dependent on you alone.  Somtimes titration for particular people or specific meds take longer or shorter time lengths.  Up to you and how you feel.  You can research more about titration (up or down) on any competant medical site.  Doc or pharmacists can help you, the latter being the real experts on the drugs.

Also look into interactions between some of the meds you take to see if some of your symptoms relate.

Finally, 10 weeks post op is still very early in the game.  Don't be in such a rush...you have a long road ahead of you...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

• Posted

I would discuss it with your doctor before coming off it. Otherwise you are trying to do two things at once ie get better from the knee op and  ccme off quite a powerful drug.
    • Posted

I would discuss it with your doctor before coming off it. Otherwise you are trying to do two things at once ie get better from the knee op and  ccme off quite a powerful drug.
  • Posted

Yes you are supposed to wean yourself off it, not just totally stop suddenly. When you are off them try panadene extra from the Chemist, no script in Australia and you have to show your drivers licence or ID
  • Posted

I was stupid enough to run out on a Friday, when I couldn't get a doctor's appointment until the tuesday . .a very bad four days just like you are describing, with hallucinations, night terrors, and all the rest.  you must do it gradually, as several people have mentioned.  It took me a long time to give up the last half tablet before going to bed. . otherwise I just could not stop twitching and moving.  slowly does it. . . it really is the only way . . .

• Posted

I totally relate to what you went through. Same thing with me. Ran out Friday. I was crying, suicidal. I tried to cut myself with a razor blade. My husband heard me breaking open a razor. I went crazy. That stuff is worse than anything I've ever been on. I would never take it again. It's way worse than oxycodone or Vicodin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.