How do I take control over my health anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi. i have really bad health anxiety ( note that i don't have diagnosed health anxiety... it's just me worrying nonstop about my wellbeing. ) that whenever i don't feel my best, i always fear/worry about having a severe illness - and i'm particularly scared of cancer because 1. it's deadly and 2. we don't have money to support treatments.

it's been very very bad that my school life got affected. i couldn't focus studying or doing activities because all i ever think about is my health. i just curl up and cry and cry and worry to death. it doesn't also help that i have been very used to asking google about almost everything that's happening in my body...

would anyone be kind enough to share some tips or idk advices on how to keep my anxiety at bay? i could really use up some advice, or just plain talks to ease my mind. thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry you are feeling this way but it’s important to not let your mind wander to the negative because it will build upon itself and you will never find peace. these negative thoughts are not based on fact or reality. They are merely illusions that our mind makes up That come and go and that can drive us crazy if we let it.

it’s important to do some fact checking first.

1. 99% of all the sensations we get in our body whether it’s strain, pain, weird symptoms, etc. are nothing serious. If they were serious, all of us would be walking around with terminal illnesses.

2.you are most likely young and have never had a serious diagnosis. The odds are greatly in your favor that you are healthy and are just getting some minor sensations here or there that you are over blowing in your mind. cancer at your age is not common.

2. when you allow your mind to go to the negative scary thoughts, you are taking away precious minutes, days, months and years from your life that you can never get back. You are scaring yourself for no reason. I did this for years and I regret it! Those days are gone and I can never get them back.
    3. googling will rob you of your peace of mind. It will cement the negative thoughts in your head that are false. It’s like digging a hole you can’t get out of. It will not pertain to your individual situation. Believe me, I’ve been there!

you don’t need a diagnosis of health anxiety. If you are overly worried about your health then you are anxious about it.

Visiting a counselor can really help you overcome this. They can give you tools for anxiety management and it really feels good to talk to somebody about it. most schools have counselors you can talk to.

for you, it’s very important to refocus your mind on school. that is what is going to get you ahead!

worry, fear, etc. will only push you back and make you feel miserable. It does absolutely no good but it does a lot of harm! You are young, you are healthy. If you want peace of mind go get a check up with your doctor.

Be persistent in moving forward!

When you get a negative thought, be strong and imagine it floating off and dissolving. Do that every time! You have a long life ahead of you so it’s important to stay out of that negative pit and stay busy .

Get some support for this if you can! You’re gonna be fine ❤

• Posted

thank you so much for your kind words. but it's just so hard to control my mind. i am literally almost certain i have bowel cancer bc of what I'm feeling, but i am only 20 years old... still, i appreciate you taking time to reply! hoping you are well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.