How do I tell my GP that I am feeling depressed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been to doctors since I was 15 about feeling depressed and not many of them seemed to be bothered even though I was self harming and suicidal I guess they thought I was just attention seeking they only got concerned when I told them I didn't eat much but that was it had some therapy sessions but again I felt really uncomfortable and never got answers to what was wrong with me how can I fix myself when I don't know what the problem is you know?

I am wanting to go back and try again even though last time I was just told I am just one of those people that gets depression easily.. really? come on! Yes in some way they are right but how can I over come this with out the right help.

I always feel I'm going to panic when I go to the docs because I know they judge me like everyone else.

I would say the past 3 months have been bad for me with the downers. I'm more tired, less interested in being intimite with my partner and feeling suicidal and down. I cry nearly every night. Everyone at my age at 22 is either traveling or at Uni or married and having kids and what am I doing. Stuck in a rubbish job with no time for anything. I found myself going to church at one point and I don't really belive in god anymore I just needed comfort. I have terrible mood swings but I don't think thats anything like bi polar I think thats to do with stress and lack of sleep. I have been thinking horrible things about people and being really nasty I have threatend to hurt and wished people would just hurry up and die. That is horrible I know I aways feel dead guilty later on I guess I'm just angry at myself for not being someone I wanted to be and not being perfect like I imagined myself to be. One minute I'm broody and want kids since everyone on my facebook seems to be then the next I hate kids and make comments about young mums at my age telling them they should have never opened their legs. I'm a ticking time bomb. I am a nice person really I just wish I was so nasty sometimes and hold my tounge I know it's because of the way I feel jesus I just don't know what else to do.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi weecara..you defo hav to get back to a doctor a different doctor.. But you got to go..I know it's horrible what we all go through..ruminating,no energy,upset tummy etc..you need to speak to doctor..please! X
    • Posted

I know thanks for replying. I think its maybe the stresses from lack of sleep and working 7 till 6 nearly every day but its taking a huge effect on me I will defo find time off to make an appointment x
  • Posted

Totally get you there with the nastyness and being horrible to people. I do that too, the people closest too and probably make them feel bad about the way they are when really it's all me thinking I'm rubbish and therefore everything about me is rubbish, including family, friends and partners. The biggest thing that has helped me recently is to just let these thoughts wash over you, notice them bit don't judge yourself for them (I literally imagine them washing past me), and just kind of think, oh well that was an interesting thought. Then think about something else in the moment, even just concentrate on the colour of something! Easier said than done but I'm finding it's helping with practice. You've already recognised that you judge yourself for having these thoughts and that makes it worse so at least try to eliminate them.

I would go back to your GP and make them take you seriously, let them know how much this is affecting you. You can also self refer to a lot of talking therapies from website below (I just have).

www.iapt.nhs.uk/iapt/

Hope you get some help and things improve smile

• Posted

Also get the whole changing your mind on where to go in life, and comparing to other people! Just concentrate on getting well and the rest will follow when you're thinking clearer. (I will remember to give myself this advice too - own worst enemy!)
    • Posted

Never got to read your first comment since its waiting to be moderated lol and I know I must be at that time of my life were things are changing and I'm not a kid anymore I'm an adult and should be acting like it thank you for replying smile x
  • Posted

To be honest you could take along to the doctors your opening post, if that doesn't convince them you need help with depression nothing will.... try it!
    • Posted

I wrote stuff down but they didnt seem very interested in reading it they rather I spoke to them since you only have like 10-20 mins with them but I could try that again x
  • Posted

Yeah it's just been moderated because I put a link on to where you can self refer to talking therapies, should get through ok tomorrow as I've posted it before. I've just self referred and got some guided self help coming soon. Not sure if they can then prescribe meds (I'm trying to avoid if I can) but they send a letter to your GP which you get a copy of so you could then go see your GP again. When I self referred they did an assessment over the phone on how much your life is being affected etc so your GP wouldn't be able to argue with that. If self referral isn't an option in your area go see a different doctor until one will listen.

I think we're setting ourselves up for a failure by expecting ourselves to act like adults...lol

• Posted

Haha thank you that would be great I will defo have a look in to it thank you for your advice I will get all this sorted hopefully xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.