How do people cope?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've been told my GP that I have a grade 1 or 2 prolapse and I'm going to ask to see a urogynaecologist. I had a hysterectomy in 2005 - no one mentioned anything about a prolapse in the future  to me at that time I remember asking what about the cavity left and being told nothing would happen to it! Anyway water under the bridge now I guess I'm 57 and my main symptoms are a heavy bulgy feeling inside. I don't have bladder/bowel problems that I've read others have (yet) but I have had a uti over the weekend and am on trimethoprim. Since this uti the bulge/discomfort feels worse. I'm going back to the GP later today. 

I feel devastated to have this condition (and it's fairly mild at the moment!!) I've had a lot to cope with recently. I had a hip replacement in 2015 and I found my mother dead on Easter Monday this year. Can anyone give me any practical tips on how to manage this thing? I do my pelvic floor exercises religiously. Any words of encouragement will help. It's been a bad day so far. Sorry to moan. 

cathrine

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Cathrine 

I’m sorry to read you have had such an awful time of late and so very sorry to hear about your mum. You must feel really fed up .

Some people don’t find they have too many symptoms with a prolapse. Do you know what type of prolapse you have.

I have a grade II  Cystocele and grade II Rectocele and have opted for surgery as it won’t go away.

Some times a ring peasant can be fitted which supports the vaginal wall improving symptoms.

I too have a heavy feeling and find pelvic floor exercises quite hard to do. When my vowel is full it feels much wise as I am very aware of the prolapse then. Try not to be constipated if it is your bowel affected. Having a uti will mean you have some inflammation there which will make you more aware of its presence if you have a cystocele.

Get some advice on your options then you can at least make an informed decision and if you decide to postpone for a while until you feel emotionally stronger it may be beneficial to you. Best wishes kelly 

• Posted

Hi Wardrobe mistre. My heart goes out to you. After everything you've been through. Nothing was said to me either about possible prolapse. I find it so hard to believe that these surgeons do not see it necessary to tell you. It should be shouted from the roof tops! This is such a debilitating condition, both physically and mentally. I wished I'd persisted with a hysteroscopy instead? But what now? Further surgery? You would think they would have found something to implant to take up the space of the uterus by now wouldn't you? Do pessaries work after hysterectomy does anyone know? Without a cervix? Sending hugs to you Cathrine, and all round ladies x

• Posted

Hi,

pessaries didn't work for me.( no cervix) Rings and gelhorn became dislodged within minutes. I did have very weak pelvic floor muscles and lax vagina though. Everyone is different. It's worth trying, uncomfortable but not painful if you take painkillers before fitting. I'm glad to say that 3 months after perineal and cystocele repair my symptoms have improved significantly. Can wear skirts again and risk going out without a pad. Am walking up to an hour daily with rests and increased swimming to 14 lengths. But I am just living a day at a time and can't imagine that a day will pass when I don't question whether today will be the day it all falls down again. I avoid lifting, carrying and bending. Anything that puts strain on upper abs. Given up housework and taken early retirement, so some benefits!  I have a biological mesh holding the front wall in place and between 3 and 4 months is when it starts dissolving at which point how well my own tissue has regenerated and scarred will determine how strong the repair is. I opted for this over a traditional repair but no guarantees of success. 

• Posted

what is biological mesh? why did you opt for this over a traditional repair? and what is a traditional repair?

Thanks still investigating my options but I dont want to go to 300 different doctors to find them.

• Posted

Thank you Rosabee, sounds like all is going well for you, I am pleased. As I've had front and back wall repair, I'm definitely not lax vaginally now, if when I get brave enough to see someone, I am going to be armed with different options myself. So yes, I have the same question as rodeojo, what is biological mesh? There has been a lot I the media lately about mesh surgery, I guess it means it dissolves? I imagine I had the traditional repair. Cutting out a section of the walls of the vagina, then sewing them up, therefore tightening it to hold other bits in place? Again no guarantees, I just thought it would be longer than 6 months? Thanks for the valuable information ladies

• Posted

Yes, Traditional repair cuts away section of vaginal wall and stitches it up. My surgeon seeing so many women coming back with repair having failed adopted a new method in UK (also used in Holland and Australia) using biomesh which dissolves after 3-4 months as a splint to secure repair whilst tissue regenerates. How well you scar determines the success of the repair. He doesn't cut away skin. He detaches and re-aligns tissue to follow natural lines and curves so skin isn't stretched. Having had an anterior and vault prolapse months after hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation due largely to walls being stretched so thin i was very reluctant to undergo surgery again and lost confidence in my highly respected traditional surgeon. i saw a woman surgeon privately who wouldn't do it as she wasn't a uro-gynaecologist but I asked her who she would go to. She said her own teacher (whose hospital was within an hours drive)This seemed like a better option. I liked his non-patronising, non-arrogant manner and he took a lot of time to explain. i saw him privately first then he put me on his NHS list referred by GP as second opinion. He was realistic about my outcomes. He gave me an article from the lancet (you can see this discussed if you look back at my early discussion) showing 80% of women have a recurrence of some symptoms after surgery with traditional repair. So I'm waiting to see him end of November to see how it's going. Having niggles, not  completely confident but if it's worked repair will be 70% strong after a year.

• Posted

whoops. I didn't have a sacrospinous fixation, i had a sacrocolpopexy and hysterectomy first time.

• Posted

Hi Rosabee

This sounds interesting whereabouts in the UK are you and this Dr? I need as much information as possible before I ask to see someone 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm better thank goodness. Still using Ovestin for 2 weeks like GP said before going back to see her next Monday week. The atrophy definitely contributes to the horrible feeling that everything is dropping out! I too wish I had persisted with an endometrial ablation and not a hysterectomy BUT of course one never knows what problems that would have brought........  No surgery or medication is without its risks/side effects I suppose. I will modify my lifestyle - I don't do lifting cos of my hip but am more aware of what I'm doing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.