How do they decide what to remove?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 33 years old. I have been with my husband for 14 years and we don't have children nor do we plan too. I have pcos and have had problems with my periods since I was 11. Now I have a 35cm ovarian cyst that is due to be removed by laparotomy on 7th July.  The whole thing has been like a final straw for me. If I could have a hysterectomy I would but due to my age my Doctor is talking about trying to save as much as he can. 

From what I have read people have had varying things removed from just the cyst to the ovary to full hysterectomy and even appendix. I was just wondering why and what are the decisions based on? How much of a day did you feel you had?

i hate the thought of having to have further surgery too and the doctor has pre warned me they may need to 'go back in'. Has anyone else been warned of this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a 23cm sold cyst which they thought was ovarian until they opened me up and found out that it was my womb, i am 46 and also didnt want any children ever, the decision was made quite easily as the blood markers in my bloods were inconclusive for cancer they decided to take my wonb overies and omendectum to be sure that there was no chance, when the tests came back all was fine, but i also didnt want to go through the stres again if i needed to have furter surgery, as long as you and your husband agree then it will be your choice my partner at the time felt the same and also wanted to eliminate any risks
    • Posted

I have a raised CA125 which is a horrible thought but I keep telling myself it's just because of the cyst. It's still a horrible thing to go through though and being able to avoid it again would be great. 

Did you have another appointment with your consultant before surgery? I saw him on diagnosis and was told I'd be referred for a ct scan (which I had 2 weeks ago) but as far as I know the next time I see him will be when I go in for surgery. I assumed I'd have another appointment to discuss what they'll actually do?

• Posted

I had a pre-op appointment with him to decide on what to do, then a pre-op with the nurse to get tests done, from going to the doctors, to having the op and being laid up was only six weeks they didnt hang about
    • Posted

Their ears must have been burning! I just had a phone call to say my CT scan was as expected so surgery will go ahead as planned and not bought forward (what a relief!) I asked about the pre op assessment and they said I should get a letter through soon with an appointment for the Wednesday before. 

I am quite happy with how quick and efficient they have been with me too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.