How do you deal with the feeling?

Posted , 6 users are following.

How do you deal with feeling horrible about yourself constantly? Having no energy or motivation to get out of the house. Thinking that this slump you're in will never go away. How do you deal with that feeling when you think you might be getting better only to be let down when depression hits you once again? How are you supposed to live if you don't want to? 

What does it feel like to not be depressed? What am i even fighting or trying to achieve?

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have this from time to time, just have to remember that the fact that you slip still means you have the strength to get black to being positive.
    • Posted

and the weakness to slip back into it?
  • Posted

Hey Jared 
    • Posted

Hey Jared

Its tough  I know Ive suffered from depression for 16 years

Try to talk to your family and freinds

I presume you are on medication if you dont think its working talking to your doctor about a change and if you dont like talking to people close to you try some therapy.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but its a battle to get there

stay strongcry

• Posted

How do you tell people who care about you that you don't care about your and you don't want to live, for seemingly no actual reason?

I've tried and i've realized that there's not much friends or family can do. Like really what are they going to do? Wave their magic wand?

I'm back on my medication and i feel worse than i did the time i made this post. Doctors keep telling me to wait it out and honestly i don't know what i'm waiting for, besides the side effects to go away.

• Posted

See a psychaitrist and a therapist perhaps talking to a stranger will help.

Meds alone will not do it

Stay strongcool

• Posted

The university of Dublin recommended that people who have depression type illnesses would benefit from exercise such as walking or cycling to improve brain functioning and the addition of vital brain protein.     So give it a try. No excuses  pls.

Richard

• Posted

I'm an imsomniac and i walk 1-2 time a day, for the last year and it's done nothing for me.. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Posted

Hi Jared,

You sound like me, I have been suffering from depression for many years. There have been times where I have been happy but it was always fleeting and that feeling was always there in the background ready to drag me down again and ruin my motivation and self esteem. 

I was bouncing around temp jobs for many years till I kept losing jobs due to my depression, often bursting into tears. 

Ultimately I took a step back and decided to try and drag myself out of the cycle of depression and losing jobs and that really helped.

I don't know what it is for you that you feel is bringing you down but what I have found helpful was a combination of medication, Cognative Behavioural Therapy and Mindfulness of which there is a lot of literature (many people have found it helpful) and now I have decided on what I really want to do with my life and I feel happier. I still have the odd day but it is much easier for me to cope with now. See what options for therapy you have in your area.

What I'm trying to say is, find something that makes you happy. If you feel you have no reason to get out of bed, give yourelf one. Think of what you are passionate about. For me it's dogs so I'm going to work with them because being around them makes me happy. 

Exercise is also brilliant when you are feeling really bad, although I appreciate it is one of the last things you want to do.

So without trying to sound soppy, try some new things, get out and about and when you find something that makes you happy, chase after it.

Hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

How are you supposed to find something that makes you happy when being around people makes me sick to my stomach and being by myself makes me want to top myself off? 
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling that way. If things are that bad and you are having suicidal feelings then you have to seek help now. You need medical help, look up what's avaliable in your area or see your doctor if you can and start from there. You can't keep living like you are at the moment, you deserve better than that. If you find yourself tempted then please call the emergency services. There are people in your situation so you're not alone. Take things one day at a time x
  • Posted

Hey Jared,

What I have figured out from my experience is that we being humans develop the habit of moving on with our lives by attaching it to someone or something, and when that someone or something is no longer a part of our life we lose control over ourselves and the mind takes over. very often we forget that our lives are supposed to be about US. About US being the only sources of satisfaction for ourselves. I have been a mess for the past one month, and couldn't get out of bed. Still can't. Crying episodes. Feels like sh*t. But I am trying to help myself by finding a job even if I get the lowest income. Small steps. But for US. Everyday.

• Posted

never understood what people meant by small steps. I can't even trust myself to get out of bed and shower, or go upstairs to eat. How are small steps supposed to help?
    • Posted

Like I used to be..you are JUST on the WRONG medication....you need to switch ASAP....truly I never believed in medication AT ALL.

It took so long for me to find the right one for me.....I was giving up daily too...I actually quit a job of 19 years! Making a ton of money..now i have NOTHING.....all because of depression.  So I started THEN drinking myself to death.

​But, then I didn't want to die...so I got help...I take the medication it seems to be working..its almost like a magic wand...not quite...but very close...THEN you will feel like doing SOMETHING..anything....even just going to the store was a chore...I go about 3x a day now out of boredom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.