How do you know when to increase dose?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all, I'm currently on 30mg having upped the dose from 10mg every 4 weeks (an increase of 10mg each time). Right now I've been on 30mg for a little over a week and a half.

I just wanted to know when you know that the dose isn't working. In 3 weeks time I'll probably be meeting with my Doctor and I don't know whether to increase the dose further or to stay on 30mg for longer? I don't know whether I'm not feeling better because I haven't given a dose a long enough amount of time to work before upping, or I haven't taken a high enough dose. Any help would be appreciated!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You have been on them for 12weeks now??? That's a fair amount of time for them not to be helping at all. I increased mine from 20 to 30and noticed a differe6within a week. A few years ago I was on 40mg and that was amazing. Maybe you do need the increase to 40mg. Having said that everyone is different and you may need to take them a bit longer. Ring your Dr for some advice if you are not happy

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I looked at when I started and I believe it was actually 8-9 weeks ago (I must have had an interval of 3 weeks not 4!) Eitherway, do you think that 8 weeks is long enough to notice something? 

My anxiety hasn't decreased, and neither the intrusive thoughts. I perhaps feel more happy and energised during the day when I'm on my own, but not in public (as I struggle in public as part of the anxiety anyway). Thanks!

• Posted

8 to 9 weeks is usiallyenough time but like I said everyone is different. I would definitely suggest you speak to your Dr. You may need the 40mg. For me I have noticed a difference but it is always in the back of my mind. Have you thought about therapy??
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll speak to the Dr. in a few weeks anyway hopefully. 

I tried CBT, but that didn't work for me so I tried Citalopram.

I guess my worry was that I haven't been on a SINGLE dose for more than 4 weeks, so maybe I keep changing it without giving it a chance. My Dr. did want me to stick on 20mg for a bit longer but I said, because I knew I get side effects, that I wanted to up it before I went back to university.

• Posted

Well I hope it settles down for you soon. Living with anxiety us awful. Not that long ago I thought I would never be like myself again. I wasn't sleep in or eating. Anxious all the time. Wouldn't leave the house but it did get better. It WILL for you just give it some time.

• Posted

Upping the dose doesn't mean you will get well any quicker..the key is to stay on a consistent dose for at least 8weeks...take care

• Posted

So you should wait 8 weeks in-between each dose change? If that was the case it would've taken me 24 weeks to get to 30mg that I'm at now! However, I see your point and will discuss the possibility of staying with 30 for a bit longer.

• Posted

Do you mind if I ask what dose you are currently on? How long did it take you on that dose to feel better and did you have to keep upping it until it did? Thanks smile
    • Posted

I was on twenty milligrams for a good four weeks and the side effects where horrendous..so my phychiatrist drop me to ten milligrams and that did the job..I have been on ten for 19months now..and I started to feel well aorund the 8month mark..where I finally said wow I feel better..mind you that was all after trying 5 different ssris that where tragic to my system..

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up