how does Citalopram Change Things

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,my name is ian i am 42 and feeling very down,since xmas i have became very depressed,so last week i went to the docs i never ever go to him ias i feel that i am a strong person and deal with things as they come along but i felt that i could not deal with this any longer.

he set me up on citalopram 7 days ago,i fill worse now then when i started.

could someone tell me how the tablets change you in what way,do you just get up in the mornings and everthing seems right,this is all new to me and i really dont know how it works...I hope someone can put me in the picture......PLEASE!!

All the best

Ian

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Dont worry, the first few weeks of taking citilopram are very strange. I started about 8 weekls ago on 20mg, had a fortnight of bad belly, poor sleep, really wierd thoughts and generally not feeling well. My libido also went haywire.

I kept with it (as i have had cipramil in the past) and things are ok. My dosage has been doubled to 40mg, and the only annoying thing now is muscle cramps. Generally I am better and I have my sparkle back.

You will be ok.

• Posted

hi jemmima

Thanks for the quick reply,i know i have to stick with it but is there some sorts of words that describe you now as to what you were like before i cant seem to get my head around all of this at the mo..

Thanks again

Ian

• Posted

Hello again,

Things were very black, and i had been on the downwards slope for about 9 months before going to see the Doctor> I was fixated with my own death, my husbands death, being left alone, hypothetical arguments in my head and lots and lots of anger and bitterness with the world. I had no sex drive, pileing on the weight, drinking for england, sleeping 12hours a day and still feeling tired and stockpiling food, and geberally playing havoc with my credit card.

At first I was on 20mg, and was ok. It stopped the spiraling thoughts, and I was doing ok - Nothing fabulous, but i was coping. I could also admit to those nearest and dearest that i was suffering again. The side effects were really nothing after the first two weeks. The 'noise' in my head had stopped and that was such a relief that a bit of bad belly, and the 3am blues were an easy price to pay to feel that I wasn't totally loosing it.

I then had some real emotional kicks in the teeth in early January which sent me back down the dark slope.

I went back into the Doctors in a real mess, and he doubled my dose to 40mg. i have now been on it a week, and i am almost my old self again. i have energy, I feel motivated and have regained my confidence.

My belly still moans a bit, I get cramps easily, but I really dont care. I am SOOOOO relieved that i can get on with my life. I still have dark days, but i have control back.

Honestly, stick with it for a month and see how you feel. It works for me, and i would recommend citilopram to anyone who suffers.

Good luck

J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.