How have those waiting for surgery coped with festivities?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I've been waiting over 2 months for surgery so far and may have a few months wait to go yet. I've had to stick to a below 3% fat diet and I've found it really tough. The only thing that's kept me going is the fear that if I do indulge, I could be in a lot of pain and back in hospital. I admit that I've still found it very difficult over Christmas. There is food everywhere! I normally splash on good food, treats and the odd takeaway but not this year. What about everyone else? How have you managed? Have you managed?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hiya......i couldnt eat my xmas dinner either sad  because ive been feeling soooo unwell with my gb.......im not in severe pain.....just a constant dull deep pain and alot of nausea sad and a feeling like i have something stuck in my right should blade. Ive got lots of shadows and thickened walls and still waiting to hear abour my surgery.

Thats 2 xmases that i missed the good xmas dinners!! I used to be able to stuff my face but not anymore untill i get sorted!!xxx

• Posted

I had to do this last year.

To be honest I felt so grotty I didn't really feel like eating anyway.

Had my gallbladder removed in April 2015 due to gallstones.

I am a lot better than I was but still have stomach ache and pain in right side and back passage sometines. Recently been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and I think I may have IBS as well. But could be a lot worse.

If you are willing to have the operation at short notice if someone else cancels it may be worthing mentioning that. That is how I got mine done. I was only diagnosed with gallstones at just before Christmas last year so I waited 4 months. The waiting list here in Wales is 8 - 9 months.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I've felt grotty on and off and I know I will until I can get the op over and done with. Days I feel well are the hardest to resist but I'm doing to my best to avoid attacks because doc said I'd have to start the wait again. I have said I will take short notice so fingers crossed. I got a hiatus hernia as well but I have lanszopizol for that and it's good stuff. The day after boxing day I had the stitch, fatigue and nausea all day. I felt sure I was heading back to hospital but it passed. It's not nice worrying about attacks all the time. I can't believe the wait in Wales is that long. I'm told it should be a max of 18 weeks in England but targets are being missed. It's so very long isn't it?
  • Posted

Hi lisa.

its been torture seeing all the lovely(but naughty) food everywhere i look but to frightened to even have a little treat . im fed up with this boring diet and hope i can get back to normal eating after operation went to see consultant just over a week ago .he said they will do the removal of gb jan or feb so not that far away but after reading other peoples experience im worried things might never be normal again even after the operation . how long have you been having problems with gb ? mine only started in oct but i was addmitted twice into hospital in a month  with jaundice and very high LFT etc . hope we both get sorted out very soon . linda

• Posted

Hi linda, I suffered in silence for about 3 years. I've not had good experience from docs and had little faith anything would actually be done because the attacks would last from half hour to 3 hours and then gone. I felt that I would only waste my time having tests being told I'm fat, try this, do that, wait and see. But the attack in October was very different. I'd suffered hours and hours all evening Sunday and overnight until I got hub to call the ambulance at 6am the Monday morning. I was in for 9 days after then. My LFT'S still aren't normal. I do worry same as you linda that things won't be solved. Multiple stones, GB thick to 6mm and a damaged bile duct. I'm crapping myself truth be known! But! Nothing worse than a stuck stone imo. Especially when it can endanger your life. I just want the damn thing and its contents out now. I won't miss it. I'm clinging onto the hope that it will go as well as everyone tells me it will. New lease of life and no worries. I have a bad feeling it wont though. I was surprised how unwell I was and it's scared me silly. I hope that there are no long term effects of the damage to the bile duct. The fact my LFT's are still high doesn't fill me with confidence :-/
    • Posted

yes lisa . my LFTstill not normal found out from the doctor yesterday that when i was in hospital the alt was 500 i new they were very abnormal but not that high they are down to 50 now .i was told that 25 was the norm . i had my cholestorol tested last week thought it would be normal now im not eating any food containing cholestarol .but no it was 7.3 so back on the statins its so annoying so not down to diet as doctors love to tell you to loose weight eat heathy etc which ive done and it made no difference liver is making to much cholestarol . feel like i have no control of my body anymore . do you know what your LFT are ? keep in touch linda
    • Posted

Hi linda I was told they are three times higher than they should be but much lower than they were when I was in hospital. So I don't really know the exact figure. We are quite similar by the sounds of it. I'd been in hospital for two days and things were improving but then my LFT's spiked really high and I needed oxygen and temp rocketed. I had an emergency MRI which showed damage to the bile duct so they think a stone had been stuck and then cleared. They said my LFT's would return to normal but never have. It gives me a bad feeling but they don't seem to be worried. I still can't relax though. Especially with the fibs I've been told by doctors. I don't know what to believe anymore. :-/
    • Posted

Hi lisa. yes our symptoms are very similar i was and still am very worried as to why my LFT are not normal when i was in hospital they seemed more concerned about my liver than the gb and as i have had breast cancer twice i was thinking that it had spread to my liver they made me more worried because they kept doing all sorts of in depth tests but never really telling me anything so naturally i was worried . im hoping when i have op things may improve with my liver . i could exept all these problems if i ate unhealthy smoked and drank like a fish .BUT i dont  hay ho such is life hope 2016 is a better year for us all linda
  • Posted

About the wait times... I had the first appointment with the surgeon in September, was scheduled for surgery in February, but by late October I'd had too many attacks in a row, called and asked to be put on short-notice (cancellation) list, and had it done December 16. Pretty fast for Canada, I think. Like Sarah from Wales said, it is worth asking to be on the on-call list if you'd rather not wait.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up