How I conquer emotional eating and deal with physical pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

And some other things. Just read on. 

You have the power to mostly accept your physical discomfort brought upon shifts in emotions. Don't get the habits of stuffing your face with food to calm your emotions or getting a drug addiction. You don't need stimulants. They're already in your body. You can feel how your emotions carry into different types of discomfort in your body. And just observe the discomfort. This will calm your need to always change the discomfort you're in. Just accept the discomfort you're in physically caused by your emotions and even the discomfort you can't change like chronic pain. I can physically feel all the emotions inside me. Once you look at it this way you can start to make your pains change by trying to look at the pain in a different perspective which will actually change how it feels to you. Try to give it attention. Accept and explore your sensations

Once you've decided that you can accept your pain and can do fine with it, you can then do the process of softening its impact on you. You could bring new sensations into the different parts of your body just by choosing to. Or just exploring the different types of sensations. You could add warmth to an area just by commanding it there. You can even command discomfort. Try feeling a sensation near a certain part of your body and then pretend to yourself that it is spreading from that location. There are many techniques to feeling your body. You could even try to feel your whole body at once. I have been able to feel my whole body and have it feel warm. It was bliss

Every emotion is physical. You can identify the different sensations brought up from different emotions. You can feel them manifest in little ways throughout your body. Try to explore how your body is feeling. It could have a lot to do with how your head is feeling. Part of hunger is emotional. If you just allow yourself to feel the physically emotional sensations and just observe them without the need to change that feeling, it will soften the need to eat extra amounts of food due to emotional eating.

You can conquer things that seem impossible like eating less calories by accepting the feelings it brings(physical, emotional, taste buds craving something flavorful, need to feel full, etc)without the need to change it. Once you've accepted it, you can try different things that may change or challenge your need to eat for example- try to imagine what something taste like in detail and also how it moves in your mouth as you chew it and how the texture changes on your tongue as you eat it and where the tongue is tasting it. Try imagining how many different food tastes. Imagine eating the frosting from a cake. Some chocolate bar, a grape, etc. For me imagining eating it is a relaxing experience, and it's just nice to taste typical food without actually eating it. For me grapes, carrots and lettuce are probably the easiest thing for me to imagine eating.

Tell me your thoughts

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good advice, lots of coping skills included very well thought out. It's nice to read what can help . Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

I don't know if I should of recommended this for chronic pain as I don't deal with that, but I heard something like body scan meditation is something that may help those with chronic pain. Body scan meditation is a good way for you to become more aware and connected with how your body feels. It's something I try and find useful for understanding and accepting the way my body feels

• Posted

Oh btw thanks for your feedback! Appreciate it cheesygrin^

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.