How is everyone else getting on with medication/treatment (CBT) for anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im 2 weeks into taking sertraline 50mg medication and hopefully starting CBT in the next few weeks, just wondering what other peoples experiences are? How far down the line are you and how much have you progressed?

Phil smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Phil

I poston here regularly in the hope of helping someone with my past and present experiences.  I am an older lady, but throughout my life have suffered with anxiety......sometimes several year frees, then wham! it hits again, and so on.  I take medication in the bad times, and sometimes even in the good, as it keeps me stable.  However, as I have mentioned on this site before, I have also led a very full life.  Always in employment, family life and holidays etc.  So please do not despair.

In my opinion, you have to give the meds a fair chance to work (2 weeks is not long enough for your Sertraline to get into your system), which your GP may have already told you.  That is, of course, if you do not have an adverse reaction initially.

We are all different, and that is why this site is so helpful.  Different reasons, different symptoms, different prescribed drugs.  Good luck with your CBT, be patient, and above all have faith in yourself, and let those on this site support you.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Phil,  I'm at the other end.  I''ve weaned off of Cymbalta (been about a year) and have just gone through weaning off of Lorazepam (wicked drugsad --  Worked for me for about 3 years, then just stopped working and anxiety levels went through the roof.  I've used the Ashton Method to wean off and am now down to 1 ml a day of liquid diazepam.  I am trying my best to just stick with therapy and herbs.  I truly wish you luck with your medication.  It just worked for me for a bit and then didn't.  All of us are different, though.  Would love to hear how your CBT works for you.

• Posted

I'm probably at the same stage as you Phil! Two weeks into an increased dose of Prozac in my case. Feels like the time I took my first dose all those years ago- worse than the anxiety/ depression for the first couple of weeks!

I've had an underlying sensitivity, to situations which cause anxiety, all my life. When it is bad, it is paranoid madness! I have come to the conclusion that I need more than my fluoxitine so I will be assessed by a mental health practitioner on Friday.

I am up and down at the moment- a bright sunny day helps but can't rely on them. So, bad days totally negative and full of churning in my guts, suicidal thoughts!

Not good, can't let it continue. Fluox should kick in, it has before! As I said, I need to do more than medicate- just as you are going to do.

• Posted

Hi Phil

I've been taking mirtazapine for nearly four months now for depression and anxiety, I feel that it's going really well for me. I am much improved from the way I was back in January!

I am still waiting for counselling with the nhs, I was offered group CBT but I didn't feel happy about going to a group session, so went on the waiting list for one to one counselling. I do see a lady from the cmht once a month though, and it's kind of like a counselling appointment, she just talks to me about how things are going. Hope you don't have to wait too long for your CBT!

• Posted

Hi phil,

I have had cbt at a clinic and done some online work with moodgym.au.  That is a university program which addresses warped thinking about yourself.  Maybe if it is appropriate you could give that a try too.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.