How is everyone getting on post op?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This Forum, and the lovely ladies who corresponded through it, was my lifeline after my ops. We told each other things that no one else wanted to know! So, I am now 9 weeks post op and wondered how everyone is getting on? I am absolutely fine ( this is my diagnosis as still not managed to get an earlier check up than mid October!!) and feel pretty normal. Still get bit more tired than usual but that is probably due to the horrendous summer we are having and not being able to get out so much. Still taking Movicol - always will I think! Hope you are all happy and healthy. X

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi.so pleased you are recovering well. I am 12 wks post op.Still can't sit squarely as my back passage is really uncomfortable. I am walking further and have more energy. Having to still sit on one side or the other till my arm or leg stiff and have to lie on my side. Even lying on my back pushes up and puts pressure on my inside back passage. Sometimes I worry as can see a bulge but inside and not hanging low down as before. The other day tho it was really high up looked like it had gone but day later lower again. No idea if this is normal where it should be but because you have been stretched in the opening I can just see it. No follow up so see how things go.nice to catch up.xx
  • Posted

Hi Jools,

I am now 7 weeks post op and am totally fine.  I am writing this post to put off   cutting the half acre of grass which is our back lawn -  I will do it a little later. I had to bring in eight 44 lb bags of salt from the laneway to the basement water conditioner on the weekend.  No problems. Helping my 190 lb husband up is also not a problem so saving lots of money - I am paying myself to cut the grass and look after my husband.

There is still some abodominal swelling which all three doctors said would take up to 3 months to settle down.  I no longer need anything for my bowels.  My uro-gynocologist said to keep using the Senokot and the Lax-a-Day (your Movicol) but to gradually cut back.  My appointments (surgeon, urologist and family docotor) were overe two days and my surgeon said it was finally time to start the Kegel exercises - everything was healed enough to start these.  Within three days, the urine leakage had stopped.  Within one week, no need for any aids for my bowels although I was told I could take the "movicol" until I died with no problems.  I have been dismissed by my uro-gynocologist and my urologist.  I won't see them again unless something else happens.  So life is totally back to normal - I had to install a fill valve at the retirement home on the weekend and even alll the lying on the floor and ratcheting the wrenches to get it seated properly was not a problem.  I have been walking my four miles daily since week three and doing the exercises which were approved at the time of surgery so am very happy with the outcome.

This forum was my lifeline from the beginning - I was not given any post-op "what-if" sheet so knew nothing about constipation, leaking, swelling, fatigue, etc etc.  Surgeon said they don't give these out because many patients would complain of all the problems even though they had none.  I do have one friend who had the same surgery but was totally fine after one week!  She was here to help me but I could have killed her each time she said this.  So this forum kept me sane and informed during those very difficult first weeks when you don't know what is going on.  The support of everyone here was invaluable and I will never forget it.  I am much busier now that all help is gone and I am back to working all my shifts but I will try to add my comments when I can.  I check my e-mail once daily.

Jills I am well aware we all heal at different rates and have different problems but I would be extremely concerned 12 weeks post op and still not able to sit squarely.  I would have it looked at ASAP just to make sure there is no serious problem - just my thought of course.

And Jools - you were my first contact here and I will be grateful to you forever for your support and sense of humour.

Thanks to all and I hope I can be as helpful at some point as all of you have been to me - even though I am long-winded....

Nickie

• Posted

Hi.so pleased you have recovered quickly. I was checked by my gp at 8wks because I was concerned re healing time and she said everything was fine and healing well and that they don't expect any vast healing until after 12wksdue to all the layers and muscle they cut through. I had A/P done.I went through the menopause at 39 and as have had no HRT she said my skin in that area is thin.Hears hoping it all improves soon as getting very depressed with it .
    • Posted

What procedure are they doing? I'm looking at all my options and I am not excited about mesh at all. My doctor told me he would be using it
    • Posted

Glad you are doing ok but do not overdo it - early days! Stay in touch. X
    • Posted

Will do - if there is anything that feels uncomfortable, I stop.  Only happened once.  I still can't stand still for a long time - feeling of pulling.  So I sit or walk around.  Do keep in touch Jools.  Love your "brilliant" comments - lol.

Nickie

• Posted

Hi Gypsy,

I got the mesh for the anterior repair.  I asked.  She explained they were using a different product from the one a few years ago and anticipated no problems.  I researched it pre-surgery and am very happy with my decision to proceed.  I am 71 years old.  My tissues was a little thin too........to say the least.

I have no qualms about having had it done.  There are alternatives but recovery times can be slowed and the attachment does not hold as well according to Mayo and a few other sites I looked at.

It's your body though - you need to decide what's best for you.

Let us know.

Nickie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.