How long are most uk waiting lists

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have an appointment next Monday, my referral went astray so further behind than I should be!

not sure as yet what the outcome might be, but my doctor went straight for Gyne due to ongoing bladder problems and she seemed unsure as to what was actually hanging down!

however dh has an appointment Wednesday and should get the go ahead for his new hip, I feel his surgery is the most important, but if offered my, as I suspect surgery, earlier should I go for it and if so what is the earliest I can expect to be up and running? 

Sorry if this is a bit of a wooly question but just trying to get some things worked out in my head!

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello carol. The longest you should wait after seeing your consultant should be no longer than 18 weeks, however if it was the hospitals fault that it went astray then they should do your operation earlier. No matter what prolapse you have repaired recovery is roughly the same. It will be about 12 weeks before you feel more like your usual self. Having said that there is a new procedure some Urogynaecologists perform if it's your bladder that's prolapsed and recovery is 3-6 weeks.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron

the delay was due to doctors surgery, so no complaints re hospital!

i am not sure if the waiting list will be the same for both surgeons and it is the same hospital.

i was hoping for a six week recovery time, but it think if there is any doubt it might be longer, I would be sure to wait for my husbands surgery and recovery to take place first!

so we could be in for a long wait as if all goes well the hip surgery is around  12 week recovery!

• Posted

When you go to your appointment ask the surgeon how long his waiting list is, there's no reason why he won't know. I've never worked with a consultant who didn't have some idea. Your husband could do the same.
    • Posted

Will do matron, I am forthright with the questioning also will defiantly be asking if other nearby hospital has a shorter list for dh, further to travel but heard good results, I suppose it depends if the surgeon also operates there!
    • Posted

Make sure he's a Urogynaecologist as well carol 
    • Posted

Think just a straightforward gynaecology appointment 
    • Posted

Hi Matron is it normal to have the White stitches to be coming out at 9 weeks x
    • Posted

Absolutely. White, blue, black they can take some time to dislodge and fall out.
    • Posted

Hi I'm a massive ice hockey fan and tonight I've been to my first game since before Christmas because I haven't felt up to it.i was a bit worried but I was fine..I'm just about back to my normal self 😳😘
    • Posted

Great news debra. I'm really pleased because I know it's not been easy for you 😘
    • Posted

I have I suppose compared to some other ladies bless em x
    • Posted

Hello Matron. I have been in this forum for 2 years. Had a tvt and bladder repair in April 2015. By the time I had my next appt,  my anterior wall had collapsed. Was THEN referred to physio, Ocober 2015, where I was told my pelvic floor was good, and was doing the exercise correctly.further appt was cancelled and I am still wAiting for follow up. Saw consultant on Monday - a different one - who said that I have a grade 1 prolapse, and a grade 4 further up.??? Agreed that a pessary is the way forward, I didn't want major surgery again. This was fitted, a guestimate of the size, and I came away happy. But, by 4 o'clock yesterday, I could feel,the bulge. Is this right? I thought I wouldn't have  a bulge at all, I am really disappointed. What do you think. 
    • Posted

Hello celia. When you're fitted with a pessary you shouldn't feel anything at all. It should be comfortable and when you walk or exempt should stay in place and you shouldn't feel anything. I don't think you should feel the bulge either so it probably isn't the correct size. Did you get an appointment to go back to have it checked?
    • Posted

should say exercise not exempt.....silly predictive text!
    • Posted

" have a walk around, have a wee, and if you are ok, see you in 4 months, or if you have a problem, ring" I have just rung the secretary, hopefully when she rings back, I will be able to go to the hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.