How long are your knee replacements lasting?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, just wondered if anyone has any experience of how long we can expect our new knee's to last?

I have read that they can last 10-15 years? I think a lot of it depends on life style to how quick they wear out?

Has anyone on here had their original TNR replaced?

Pauline.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning Pam,

i was told 20 years as long as I take care of it. Saw my consultant about knee number two yesterday!

Bit of a controversial day on here yesterday with hugely differing views.  Hope today will be a little calmer!

A glorious cold and frosty morning near High Wycombe.  Enjoy your day and I hope your leg has settled down.

Lynn 19 weeks

• Posted

Morning Lynn, 

Yes, I saw some of the comments on here yesterday, such a shame as this is usually such a friendly , helpful site!! 

Have you any idea when knee number 2 will be done Lynn?

Good luck with that, hope all goes very well!

I had to go back to my gp yesterday as couldn't weight bear at all and was in so much pain with my non operated knee!! He said it was definately related to the fall I had ! I can't believe my TKR knee is my better one at the moment!! Lol

So I'm back on my crutches, but must admit things are a little better this morning, I can walk a little easier so am hopeful it's just a temporary thing?

Ooh these things are sent to try us Lynn, good job we have this site!!

Have a good day my friend

Pauline.

• Posted

I am planning to have knee number 2 sorted mid-March, 2015.  We are visiting my daughter in the US in a fortnight, then it is Christmas and then my daughter will be coming home from the US for a week at the beginning of March.  First time she will have met her new nephew.

Hope my knee holds out that long. Getting to be a real problem and I feel it's holding my recovery back.  My husband wants me to have the second operation earlier but, firstly, I can't face it yet and, secondly, there is no way I am messing up all the earlier plans.  I was SO low for the first six weeks or so after the op, I know it would put a huge damper on everything.

Tried icing your other knee?  It was always so soothing.

• Posted

Yes, I was icing it yesterday , doctor advised rubbing Ibrufen gel on it every 4 hours as well. 

I'm just sitting with leg elevated, managing to do little jobs around the house as long as I keep resting in between .

I couldn't even get in the shower yesterday but I managed it this morning!!

I think with time it will heal a little every day.

Luckily I am still signed off work till January so don't have to worry about that !

You are very brave having No 2 done next year Lynn, at least you will know what to expect next time!!

• Posted

I was also told twenty years but as Schumacher says it depends on the life style. I won't be doing anything very sporting so crossing my fingers that I'll get a little longer.
    • Posted

Me too carol!!

No intention of putting my new knee through anything very sporty!

I will just be happy to go walking again without pain!!

Have a good day!

Pauline.

• Posted

I was told up to 20 years too. I'm hoping it'll last longer if I don't do any extreme exercise, which there is little likelihood of 😊 Hopefully by then they will have improved techniques too so another op wouldn't be so bad. Wishful thinking probably 😊😊? It would be nice to hear from those who've had the op a few years ago wouldn't it? But I guess they've got better things to do than read these forums😊 

Jen x

• Posted

I guess so Jennifer ?

I think as people start to improve and go back to a normal life they don't visit this site so often?

I am almost 11 weeks post op and I read all the posts every day, I think I am constantly seeking reassurance from them that what I am experiencing is normal during the early months of recovery?

• Posted

Mine had to be replaced @ 9 but not due to wear and tear. I have PVNS and it loosened the stem. When they got in there the doc just lifted it out with his finger tips. He said I had a good 5-6 years left.my original was a Stryker. For the life of me can't remember this one but it has a different configuration than the other one. This one is a little more elongated which I believe better replicates the natural movent. As many times as I was assured the 1st one was properly inserted I always felt there was sethimg wromg

As my foot flew open and I couldn't stride properly unless I slowed down and was very deliberate. I always felt this had to be hard on the joint

• Posted

Oh dear poor you! You have had a long struggle oldfatguy?

I hope you can finally get some quality of life after all you've been through?

Have a good day

Pauline.

• Posted

I agree with, Pauline, you deserve some good times now. You're always so helpful to us all with your comments and experience. Hope things go well for you now. Jen x
    • Posted

Thanks so much. That tumble last week was nature's way of telling me to slow down and, at least temporarily, I think I have the message. Just need to get a little strength back

I'm still impressed the prosthesis took  the blow with no damage

• Posted

Its a rare tumor that comes in two forms. It can be located in any joint including the jaw. Mine was in the knee. Extreme pain.....much more severe than the tkr itself. I had to have several surgeries, radiation, needle draining and then the tkr. After 9 surgeries I still have a little in a nerve cluster that can't be reached without putting my leg in jeopardy of amputation. Generally it surfaces from teen years to early 40's. I was 65. Doesn't show on x-rays, CT scans or in most cases, mri's. Its a one in several million jackpot you don't want to hit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.