How long before Citalopram kicked in for you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I've been on an increased dose of Citalopram (40mg) for 5 weeks now. The first 3 weeks were hell with side effects - upset stomach, anxiety etc.  The side effects are easing now but still haven't completely gone and although I've noticed small improvements I still don't feel I'm "there" yet.

Just wondered how long it has taken for everyone else to work?

Look forward to hearing from you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Citalprom works up to 6 months u will still be seeing improvement, in your self, after 3 weeks the depression bit usually goes away, after u will see your mental health improve bit by bit have been on it for 4 years.
  • Posted

Does take a while, but to be honest i dont, in all the time ive been on it, ever really feel completely "there".But then ive put on weight since being on it,which hasnt helped :-(
  • Posted

Ive just started 10 days ago on 20mg, ive noticed a difference with being much calmer than usual. Im neurotic and this has already helped quiet my mind, my depression is much better as well. Anxiety is still there though. Everyone reacts to medication differently, give it some time! smile 
  • Posted

Hi folks

I have been on 20mg of citalopram for 3 weeks , initially as in the day I started them I had , jaw clenching , yawning , nausea and tiredness which after a week started to ease however in week 2 I had increased anxiety and couldn't be out socially which was awful. I felt like things were getting better but the last few days have been horrible again. I've had such bad dizzy spells and pressure in my head . I'm worried about being on my own with my little boy in case I faint! Is this normal do you think . I just feel terrible like I have no motivation it's really getting me down again , I thought I'd turned a corner .. It's so frustrating. Do you think it's just side effects still? 

Thanks  xx

• Posted

Hi I think it's definitely side effects.  As I said I've been on an increased dose for 5 weeks and the side effects have lessened but not completely gone - it's so frustrating!
  • Posted

It took about a week for me to notice a difference, but everyone reacts differently to meds. One piece of advice, don't drink alcohol,  I've been dping so well with my anxiety but I was stupid yesterday and had friends and we all drank a lot, today my anxiety is back full force and it's horrible :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.