How long before I'll feel better?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone, have been posting for a few weeks now. A lot of you have been very successful with treating LPR. At the moment I'm on Nexium 40 mg x 2 daily. I take DGL, digestive enzymes, probiotics, vit D. I'm also trying the low acid diet but my throat is still sore. How long do you think before I see just even a little improvement? I'll do anything to feel well again.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie - I'm sorry that you are suffering like this. How long have you been like this for? Also, what is your diet like and what do you think triggered this off?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, as I've said before I had a Nissens 18 months ago but sadly it doesn't seem to have worked. Since then I've been on Domperidone and Metoclopramide to help with the reflux symptoms. Two months ago I had to stop these medications because their side effects are dire! Since then I have had terrible reflux symptoms particularly the lump in and sore throat which I am assuming is LPR. Whatever I've tried in the last two months haven't helped, any advice is welcome.
    • Posted

Oh yes I remember now - you posted on a different thread so not easy to keep track. I think I mentioned about diet. It may seem like a pointless task but eating and drinking the right things - the things your body is crying out for in most cases will improve ailments. You have to be patient will this. A lot of drugs only mask symptoms and are not treating the problem at the root. In terms of how long it will take to get better - well I read once that it can take a month for every year that you have been ill. I have been noticing issues for 15 years and so far I have been treating myself for around 6 months in a very strict manner so I may have another 9 months. But the improvement has already been immense. I went from

Not being able to talk because of my difficulty breathing to exercising for 15 minutes per day or cleaning the house etc. I couldn't even imagine that before (and I'm only 35). I used to exercise intensively 3-5 times per week, I also enjoyed snowboarding and many other sports before all this happened. Little by little you will see improvements. If it helps - perhaps see a nutritionist who can guide you through this.

• Posted

I am 30 years old and I have been dealing with LPR and GERD for almost 4 years now. It came on suddenly after I had pneumonia. I too used to ove to snowboard and surf. I still do boxing training about 4 to 5 times a week. Getting punched in the face is nowhere near as painful as the stining in my throat. I have a completely acid free diet and I take nexium 20mg once a day now. I was taking nexium 40 mg twice a day but it made me feel like I filled my mouth with hot peppers. There was a terrible burning in my tounge. I have tried everything I can to treat this. 
    • Posted

Hi mattheas, that was very funny - although I know it's probably not as funny to feel that pain. I actually haven't had the burning symptoms but I've had many of the other symptoms of lpr and then some. I can tell you that when it affects your breathing that is also no laughing matter. What kind of diet are you on? What do you drink etc? Do you sleep enough?
    • Posted

How interesting that you mention burning in your tongue. I have had a lump in may throat that has thought to be from LPR/GERD. I have been on PPIs for a few months (lansoprazole) 30mg about once a day. 

I have developed a burning mouth that I thought was from the reflux and never thought it could be from the PPIs. The burning probably started around the same time as I started teh PPIs. Its all kinda a blur cause I had asthma come on too and thought I was dying about a year ago cause my throat was so tight. All the docs say its gerd. 

Ive never heard of PPIs causing burning so thanks for your post. I will look into it. 

• Posted

I am on a total acid free diet. I eat eggs and toast for breakfast with avacado. I eat a turkey sandwich for lunch with avacoado. My dinners are usually potato, chicken or ham, corn and spinach. I drink a lot of water and sometime coconut water. I get about 8 hours of sleep a night. My condition makes it hard for me to talk and work. 
    • Posted

Have you tried cutting out the potatoes and the wheat for a while? They both can cause problems. It might be worth a try and see if that makes any difference.
    • Posted

Hi Matheas, does this diet help you? Also are you on any medication or natural remedies?
  • Posted

I went gluten free for 60 days last year and it didn't make any difference so I started eating wheat again. But I have not tried cutting out the potatos. I will try that 
    • Posted

Yes worth a try Are you taking probiotics? Any other supplements? Are your bowel movements ok. I know it's not a nice subject to talk about. Believe me - I have no more embarrassment when it comes to these sorts of things anymore 😊
    • Posted

Hi Anastasia, just wondering if you've had much success with probiotics? Would be interested to know.
    • Posted

Hi Julie - yes probiotics have been a god send for me. Symprove for 3 months made a huge difference and now I'm on ecobalance which are 4 tablets/capsules which include probiotics and antifungals and l-glutamine to heal the gut
    • Posted

Well they helped to reduce the gas in my bowels, which in turn helped with my breathing. It also helped with bowel movements. I used to be constipated (ie could go a few days without having a bowel movement). In general I believe they are starting to fight off the bad bacteria and keep the yeast in check.
    • Posted

My bowel movements and stomach are actually great. My biggest probelm is the pain in my throat. I'm on a bunch of meds that were recomended by Dr. Kaufman when I went to see her in NYC. I'm on neurontin, amitriptyline, nexium, and suboxone for pain. I was on no medications at all when this problem started in July, 2011. I started the meds in January 2012. I take gaviscon, I eat licorice. I drink 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar 2 times a day. I don't smoke, I don't drink. I don't do anything unhealthy at all. 
    • Posted

Hi Mattheas, very interesting to hear that you saw Dr. Kauffman. Have any of her recommendations helped?
    • Posted

To tell you the truth I'm not sure if any of the meds do anything. I think the suboxone is the best for the pain but that is because it is an opiate. I didn't want to be on it but the pain was so bad I really had to do it. I think the nexium helps too
    • Posted

That's interesting. Have you done stool tests to check for infections? I did mine through a nutritionist and they found a yeast overgrowth, major bacterial imbalance and parasites. You never know??
    • Posted

No, I actually haven't had stool tests done. I have a doctors appointment on Thursday so I will ask him about that when I see him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.