How long does citalopram take to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I’ve been weaned off sertraline and started on citalopram 20 mg two weeks ago. My depression has lifted a bit but I’m having up and down days. It’s exhausting. My anxiety is now ten fold, if I go out with a family member anywhere I’m shaking like mad.

I have social anxiety and Depression. How long does it take to work? It feels like I’m not getting far and I’m worried I’ll never be “me” again. 

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I started on 20mg the first 2 weeks were ok but at week 3 my anxiety went through the roof. This is all normal and many side effects too. Stick with them they will work. Some people say 4 to 6 weeks others say 8 or more. I found around 6 weeks I improved a lot. I went up to 30mg and improved even more. If you don't want to go out then don't. Do what makes you feel safe and comfortable and don't feel bad about it. Its ok to rest after an operation and this is the same. Give yourself time. Be selfish if need be. It's ok as it will get you better. When you level off more then try to do things. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.