How long does it take for antibiotics to work for kidney inf

Posted , 29 users are following.

Just been prescribed ciprofloxacin for kidney infection wondering how long it take to work, was told 48 hours by GP but still feel really ill after 4 days. Never had this before so not sure how long it will last.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sad I was diagnosed 3 days ago with a kidney infection and have been put on an antibiotic called Amoxicillin, I have nver felt so ill! I have called NHS direct tonight and they advised that it takes 48 hours for the antibiotics to kick in. The pain in my back is unreal so i went to visit my doctor again today who prescribed me with Tramadol - strong painkiller which doesnt seem to be workin either!

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

it sounds to me as though you are going through the agony of passing kidney stones ,i would take yourself to the A and E let them check you out because the only thing that will ease this pain if it is kidney stones is a drip of morphine. i had to go to A and E last weekend with the same thing. they kept me in the next day to do tests and found i had passed 2 stones hence the agony and have 3 more in my other kidney. you need a catscan to find out this info on your kidneys . i would rather go through childbirth again than go through the pain of last week. 
    • Posted

Hi I know this was over a year ago but my daughter is on this antibiotic and feel horrible on it . Yesterday morning she started them 3 times a day .how long before they started to make you feel better please
    • Posted

Amoxicillin 3 times a day for 7 days
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking how high is the dose? I am taking this also but just once a day. I'm wondering if I should go back to the dr.

• Posted

iwould get this checked if the pain is really severe it could be a stone
  • Posted

I just went to the Emergency room last night in so much pain. I was on your same antibiotic for 3 days and it had not helped one bit yet. They retested my urine and it was still heavely infected. They had to put me on IV antibiotics. I'm hoping it clears it up! I still feel awful. Heading back to the ER for my second round of IV antibiotics in an hour. Hopefully it works sooooooon!!
  • Posted

Hi... A lot depends on what the infection is... I had acute Pyelonephritis and the pain was completely off the scale... To be honest, I've never known any Antibiotic work in 2 or 3 days... perhaps a little relief is possible in that time... I was having a constant antibiotic IV drip in hospital for 3 days and then follow on antibiotics for a fortnight after. Bladder and urinary tract problems are... as you well know... dreadfully painful... I hope they gave you some morphine or something similar to ease the agony...I want to suggest that you remember the pain you are suffering and when you get well again start looking at precautionary measures to prevent a recurrence... unfortunately, if you are succeptible to these infections (like I am) there's a good chance it will happen again...Cranberry... juice or capsule, it doesn't matter...capsule is cheaper... afterwards do a little research on D-Mannose... this isn't mainstream medicine, but I know a lot of people who it has helped...
  • Posted

Antibiotics don't work in 3-4 days for a kidney infection. I was in hospital for 4 days followed b a 7 day course of pivmillcium 4 times a day. I then had a relapse and had to have a further 14 days for 3 times a day.

The antibiotics in themselves are pretty bad for sickness and diarrhoea so its a rough ride

• Posted

Thanks for your post. It helps me. I am currently being treated for what they think is a kidney infection and I have only had 10 days of antibiotics. It is much better but not totally gone, so I will go back and see if they will put me on antibiotics longer.  It's good to hear other people's experiences. It's otherwise scary.

• Posted

Hi, I'm currently on holiday and have a kidney infection and 4th day into ciprofloxacin. I know your post was a year old, but in really still having urinary and some back symptoms, although my fever has gone,I still feel weak. How long did it take for your symptoms to go on the ciprofloxacin? Was everything ok. Thanks soooo much!

• Posted

Hello, I'm taking macrobid for mine right now on day six and am just of this morning feeling better. But I'm having bad back pain again which concerns me. My doctor told me today it should take the whole 7 days to feel better and that some continue to work after you stop. Hope this helps drink some honey water with lemon or cranberry juice! If you can stand it eat fresh garlic

• Posted

I've just been diagnosed with a kidney infection. All I would say is it's been horrendous so far. I went to A&e in agony and was discharged the following day with a diagnosis of constipation. Unbelievable how unwell I was and they still insisted I had no infection. They did rule out a kidney stone which was positive. This was 1 week ago. From then I visited my Gp twice and then went back to A&e where I was finally diagnosed with an infection due to my temperature being 39. I was put on a gentimiacin drip and discharged with oral anti biotics but was readmitted 2 days later because my symptoms hadn't eased. Another night in hospital and another IV of gentimiacin and I was discharged with different anti biotics. The pain has passed but I'm still getting chills and feaver. My advice is persevere with health professionals and listen to ur body u know when ur unwell. I think recovery is a long road. Drink plenty and rest. Hope u feel better soon x

• Posted

Not sure if anyone is still reading this discussion but wondering what other symptoms others had.   Chills and nausea continue for me. On Cipro for 4 days and no change.  Pain is mostly when standing and walking and bending. Can lay with no pain.  Makes me think stone lodged somewhere. 
    • Posted

Hi! I currently have a kidney infection and I want to absolutely rip them out of my stomach. I have chills and hot flashes. Diarrhea, pain when i'm peeing, and did have dizziness for awhile. I woke up on christmas eve in agonizing pain, couldn't walk, very uncomfortable, no position would work or anything and it was like that for several hours and I took some medicine and it helping it was some pain pill my mom had, well later that night I was still in pain so I went to the ER where they gave me medicine, did a ct scan, took my blood and my pee, and told me kidney infection and prescribed me some medicine not sure of the name. At 7am christmas morning I woke up in horrible pain and had to pee so I got up and in the middle of using the bathroom I got dizzy and while trying to get back to my room I fell in my hallway from dizziness. Here I am 4 days later, still in agonizing pain. Starts out with pain that's uncomfortable, then gets to where it really hurts, then it gets to where I can no longer sit, and then finally to where nothing helps it. It's focused more on my right side but has moved to the left and in the middle a few times. The antibiotics aren't working and neither is ibuprofen. Any advice??

• Posted

I feel your pain, however you sound like you are more pain than myself. I have had several stones floating around in both kidneys for years. I got the occasional UTI but nothing like I am experiencing now. Have been on Cipro for 5 days now. I am worse off in some ways and better in others. I still have the chills on and off but the nausea lingers. My pain is lower pelvic and occasional sharp side pains.  The pain is not constant. I cannot bend without sharp pain nor can I sit in chair without getting sharp pains. I almost fainted standing making breakfast on Monday due to the pain. Propped up in bed is the most comfortable.  Currently waiting for culture to come through before

dr. Will send me for CT scan.  CANT SEE urologist till she refers me. Sounds like maybe you need a change in medication. Some meds do not work for some bacteria.

• Posted

know it may be a late reply but cipro didn't get the infection I had gone. I was put on another antibiotic to do the trick. They did a culture to see what antibiotic would do the most good. 

• Posted

Hello, I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you however i just started day 1 on Cipro. I'm curious to know what happened later. Thanks!

• Posted

Hello, I finished the Cipro and was still having pain back pain.  After so many blood tests and CT scans, I was finally diagnosed with Lupus.  I'm 65 so it's unusual to be diagnosed at this age.  It's normally in the 30 or 40's.  I was also diagnosed with with a compression fracture of the spine, which was contributing to the back pain.  I feel better now, but as many have said you are your own advocate and sometimes have to insist if things are improving that they listen.  Good luck and hope you're feeling better.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response and i am very sorry to hear. Hope things are getting better for you. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi, i know this post is old but my wife has the same issue as you described. Could you please let me know what the outcome was and why you started having pain on the left side. Any informaiton would be helpful. She been to the ER and then her doctor and he prescribed her anitbiotics which started to effect. But couple of days after finishing the anitbiotics the pain got worse again and moved to the left side. My direct email is . I probably wont be logging back onto patient.info so please send your response to my personal email address. i would really appreciate it.

thanks.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I have a bad kidney infection and my back hurts so bad never hurt like this before and I have had back surgery I started taking  anabiotic yesterday just wondering how long until the back pain will go away? Went to the  er on Monday said all test came back normal then wed morning the er called and said that my urine was sent off for cutler and it came back growing bacteria so I started antib on wed so if you can help would be thankful
    • Posted

Same with me Im on cipro also just started taking it day two on it and my pain is only with movements but sitting or laying a certain way i have no pain also i have no fever chills or sickness just the pain in my back hope you feel better😊😞😊😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.