How long does it take for your digestion to return to normal after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed a little over a year ago. Prior to the surgery, my symptoms were: pain, pale yellow stools and i guess the normal symptoms of gallstones. Now one year after the removal i still have pale yellow stools most days, although i have noticed that the color changes with what i eat. For example, if i eat chicken my stool will be very pale yellow. On the other hand if i eat something like meat sauce my stool will be a more normal brown. I have also noticed that the color depends on how much i eat, more food means more pale stool. I dont feel any pain after eating, even if i eat very fatty foods. Do any of you have similar symptoms after your surgery and what do you do to minimize them? If you dont, how long did it take before they disappeared?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

it started getting better at month 4. Month 6, many more better days than not. amitriptyline, ativan at bed and faith. most important, faith. God bless

• Posted

I had mine removed 16 months ago and ive had no problems getting back to normall eating. I started off eating bland foods but after a week or so was eating pretty normally. expect loose stools for a while though and rest as takes a while to recover.

• Posted

babaganoosh

hi im2 years post opp and i have exactly as you describe EXACTLY

plus persistant pain upper right quadrant where the gallbladder was .

i like you wonder if the stools will return to normal shade and what is causing the color .

but im none the wiser.

• Posted

babaganoosh

hi im2 years post opp and i have exactly as you describe EXACTLY

plus persistant pain upper right quadrant where the gallbladder was .

i like you wonder if the stools will return to normal shade and what is causing the color .

but im none the wiser.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.