How long does it take to get better with the help of a councillor.

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am looking at going away in July, and want to get in a better place, I see my councillor on Thursday, my first visit. How does it take to start feeling better?

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, how long does it take to feel better?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Its all up to the individual how they want to respond. You may start to feel better from just your first visit as they will give you some hope. But it also depends how good they are and how comfortable you feel with them and also what method they choose to do for you.

I like the ones that do activities.

Hope it works very well for you x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How long is a piece of string?   There is no set period to feeling better and it depends entirely on the individual and other factors such as your issues.  You might even find you feel worse before you feel better.  

Maybe you can delay your holiday a bit until you have had a chance to see your counsellor a few times first.  x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm taking 8 weeks off, so I can spend time with my mum and dad, we are taking mum to greece in June but the one in July is by myself. That's the harder on. I just Hope that I can regain my confidence as I really need that to travel on my own. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with the others, it depends on what the cause of your depression is, if you have had counselling before etc. I had counselling weekly for 18 months a couple of years ago but I have recently relapsed and I'm starting counselling again soon.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

18 months is a long time, I thinking about 6 weeks. I have a lot of things going on no self esteem, mum is dying, dad Needs op's, my 3 year nephew in having a heart op and pressure at work, as boss is demanding.  I know it not as much as others are going through, but it's hard.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think 6 weeks won't do much unfortunately unless you can get it twice a week. Maybe counseling combined with other things could lift your mood.

I'm sorry you're going through so much, life is very hard sometimes. You have support on here now, which might help smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I feel that I should be able to cope, that I'm letting down everyone, including mum and dad. Im on tablets, they have helped, I've started them in November last year. Upped then about 3 weeks ago, which have helped. I still feel that I'm a complete failure. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I feel like that too a lot of the time. I've been on anti-depressants since 2007 and I keep thinking there's something wrong with me as I'm not better yet. It's a challenge to remember depression doesn't work like that. If you can't talk to your parents as they have alot going on, is there anyone else you can talk too?

Everyday you keep living and reaching out for help on here you are not failing.That makes you strong

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up