How long does post op discharge go on for?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on day six following ligasure haemorrhoidectomy for internal piles and external tags, and was advised to wear a pad at all times, as there would be some bleeding and discharge post op. No bleeding now but still quite a bit of discharge. There's no help line at the hospital and I don't want to bother my GP with this. Have to say it's much much more painful than expected!! And it's lasting a lot longer than expected too! The pre- op nurse said I'd be ok in a week or so! Any of your own experience would be helpful. Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tess , I think if its still like this after 3 or 4 weeks I would go to gp and ask , but for now I dont think I would worry too much . Is it a clear sort of straw coloured discharge ? Been through a few myself with little discharge , but occasionally do  suffer discharge if I have a little flare up . I have heard of a few who did

get discharge after the op for a few weeks .

• Posted

Thanks for reply. Symps have lessened a bit and as it doesn't smell off and is a pinky colour I guess it's normal. I think I was a bit panicky in the early days following the op and thinking about, some discharge is bound to happen. In a ligasure procedure such as I had, the tissue is severed with an instrument like a pair of pliers which heat and seal the tissues so no stitches are used, so I suppose the tissue is traumatised by heat as with a burn. I was told it was less painful, but all I can say is omg heaven knows what the normal procedure is like!!!Thought 2 weeks would see it over with but am giving it a month now. Do so sympathise with everyone who goes through this!

• Posted

I guess I was lucky with the THD ops , as they were relatively painless . But the haemorrhoidectomy wow , thats another story . There were times I could easily have just jumped off a bridge or something . I think they call the discharge plasma , colourless blood i think . Not something I have ever worried about , but glad to hear your symptoms are lessening . Hope you keep progressing like this .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.