How Long does this go on !? Over 1 year and no better!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys,

For over a year now ive had chronic Dissociation. Deperosnalisation and Derealization. I am on 10mg Escitalopram ( Was increased last week), and still feel no better. I am tgold Anxiety is casuing it, even though ive had it for so long 24/7 none stop.

I Feel Drunk, Dazed, Conmfused, Spaced out, Not real, nothing looks the right colour and I feel like im completley trapped. Doctors have tested me for everything, accept they wont do any tests on my brain as they said my symptoms are not brain related !? Even though i constantly feel this poorly 24/7.

What am I SUpposed to do now, Ive Tried CBT, Ive tried Medication, I never feel better. I dont even feel anxious at all, I just feel poorly. How can it be ANXIETY 24/7 , When I dont FEEL ANXIOUS. I FEEL ILL ?!

So frustrated and upset, I NEED my life back sad I Cant cope anymore, 21 and feel like im ready to colaps. I Wake up feeling the exact same as the second I Fell asleep. Spaced out and just not right in my head. I Also feel like ive forgotten who I Am, almost like ive died !?

Any advice what to do now !? Or anyone been through DP/DR for this long !? I Dont even think anxiety is cauing it anymore ! Im not blo**dy anxious! 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You might not be anxious but you could be depressed. The trouble is, what you're feeling is likely to cause anxiety and depression... I think the only thing you can do is go to your GP and be insistent.

Tell them you aren't anxious, that your emotional issues are coming from the fact that you feel ill. If you want an MRI then you may need to out right ask for one.

You need to have a long chat with your GP and if you still aren't happy, perhaps seek a second opinion.

I will say this, though... You will be surprised at what your mind can do. You may not have classic anxiety, but other things can cause the symptoms you described, such as depression or bipolar (I am not suggesting you have either, but these are perhaps more likely than something physically being wrong with your brain.)

Did it just come on suddenly? Do you remember at all how it started.

• Posted

Hi and thanks so much for replying !

It started after a stressful period at home, also a holiday from hell which was very stressful. 3 months later I felt spaced out 24/7 and have done for over a year.

I honestly don't feel anxious I just feel so out of it and drugged up sort of thing, it's like my. brain is injecting itself with a numbing agent it numbed all my senses etc.

I've seen 4 different GPs about it sad

• Posted

I'm in the same boat, 4 months in for me, I've been on cit for 7 weeks I think just upped dose to 30mg but it hasn't made a difference yet but I'm only a couple days in on the increase. I don't remember what caused this it's like I just woke up one day and started feeling this way, I went to the emergency room and they did blood tests Told me it was an infection and gave me meds 5 days later I felt so much better then a week or so after that same thing came back. Went again the ER and they did more blood and urine tests again said it possibly an infection gave me antibiotics but this time no relief went to the actual dr 2 days later and he said it was anxiety related gave me cit 20mg never got relief since I just went back for 5 week check up I felt a little better that day and told him as much he said great see ya in 6 months and as soon as I left I started feeling it again and never left since, I don't remember what normal feels like at all it's getting me depressed they wouldn't give me an MRI or ct scan either said I didn't need it and my ins wouldn't cover it, I'm gonna make a neurologist appt prolly next week and hope to god it's nothing crazy bad even tho that's all I can think about is that it is which makes matters way worse. Either way I just need an answer so I know how to move forward with my life. I'm married with 3 kids and am scared out of my mind I'll miss then growing up and sharing special times with them. This is all so hard, I wanna give the increase some time to work before I finally have Full breakdown.

• Posted

Something is definitely happening...but I don't believe it is the physical issue you fear. You have seen four GP's..they would have sent you for an MRI if one was needed. They have no reason to withhold this from you ...they think the cause is something else. To me, this sounds like an emotional response. Have you thought of seeing a counsellor? This is totally different to CBT (I personally am not surprised that CBT did not work for you with what you describe having.)

I think counselling would help you more than you may imagine, or even believe.

• Posted

HI Sillymop, I replied but its postyed further down. 
  • Posted

Hi Alex, sorry to hear that you have the Dp / Dr so long term. I have severe anxiety, which crosses over most anxiety disorders, and I have had Dr for very long periods of time. Its almost a sense of things not being real which has gone on so long that caused me at times to have visual and audio hallucinations. I have been prescribed with various antipsychotics over the last 20 years. I found for me that some of these antipsychotic medications helped the Dr. But they never seem to bring down my anxiety. I find seroquel take the Dr down a level but it does not touch my anxiety. I take 450mg and my body is so used to it. Maybe you could ask your Dr about low dose antipsychotic medication. As I said I have had this for over 20 years and even in 15 years ago low dose antipsychotic medication was then used for anxiety and the different anxiety states such ad Dr/dp. If you have any questions just let me know. I know its a horrible feeling and it looks like there is no escape but sometimes meds work
    • Posted

After the 4 weeks on this increase of Escitalopram, I have to go back to my doctor, and discuss if it is making a difference.  I Will mention this too her, thankyou for rpelying and I hope one day we can both be fully fixed. Do you know what caused your DP/DR at all? 
  • Posted

I'm in the same boat to I've had it since my first panic attacks in April ever sice then I have seen the world behind a piece of glass like everything and everyone arnt real anyone so frustrating at times still waiting for it to go so you are not alone.

• Posted

I really feel that the derealization is close to a sort of psychotic episode. Its almost like having a really bad trip. I had a few bad experiences many years ago on mild drugs and it feels the same to me as derealization
  • Posted

Give the medication more time to work and effect your mood allow a further four weeks If still having problems talk with your GP.

Have you an appointment with your GP in four weeks time if so explain how you are getting on

B.

B.

• Posted

I have requested to see a counciller and they agreed, but said the waiting list is months. Im in the UK and the NHS Waiting lists are apauling. I Dont feel any better or any worse, no matter what I do i stay at the same numb, drugged up, dream like drunk state im always stuck in. I also feel like half of my brain NEVEr actually turns on like the self awarness part feels absolouley dead, im constantly on Auto Pilot. Ive had 3 relkaxing holidays, lots of friends, a new puppy, a really good life ! But this condition is tearing me apart, I dont want to even live anymore ive had it for so long I just wake up to suffer, grind thorugh the day pretending to be fine then crawl into bed again! I Cant keep going on ! sad 

I Cannot explain how bad my foggy head actaully is, Ive never done drugs but i imagine its what smoking 5 spliffs is like and then trying to function normally.  I Dont drink either.

• Posted

If you ask for counselling via the NHS they will put you in touch with 'Tim To Talk.' The waiting list can be anything from up to six months and the amount of counselling sessions that they offer are likely to only run for seven weeks. It doesn't work for everyone in such a short time frame.

I did both CBT and counselling via time to talk and felt incredibly grateful for the experience..it certainly opened my eyes to a few things and helped me toward my path. However, I wanted a therapist that could work more long term.

If you feel unable to wait I would recommend seeing a private counsellor. Do a search on google for your area and a website will come up providing a list. Have a look through what each offers and find the one that suits you. Most have set fees but if you are not financially able to meet those costs but still need help, some people may be able to accommodate you and alter their price.

I found my therapist this way and I am so thankful that I did. It's worth it in the end.

• Posted

Hi there lAlex,

I know you say you are not anxious but suffering as you are doing 24/7, is in itself distressing and stressful. That alone results in chronic anxiety

Meds take a while to absorb into the system and your initial dose was small, barely perceptible. Give the upped dose time to work

It's great you have another appointment and please, please don't add stress by feeling denied a CT or MRI scan. The doctors, if they thought for one minute it was required, would arrange for one

or both as they did for my son who had a rare disorder but which was picked up immediately despite that rarity. That could have been life threatening but thankfully wasn't

GP's for the most part know what they're doing, honey

You are in panic mode because as  yet you have no relief. And little wonder. You cannot see an end to this. More added anxiety

You know what triggered this, Alex, but knowing doesn't nor ever will cure it. Please, please try to hang in there and see if the increased dosage has a positive effect.

Remember I told you my meds took at least 3 months to make an impact? That I felt worse before I felt better?

Alex, I know, I know how it can appear as if this is forever. We are all impatient in a sense. We want relief. But this takes time, dear You have an appointment in 4 weeks so use this opportunity to tell your GP everything again.

I send hugs

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.