How long for citlaopram to work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had anxiety on and off for 8 years but I had my second baby 4 months ago and recently I have had dreadful anxiety and panic attacks I have now gone back in my medication as I had to come off it to have my baby, I started taking 20mg last Wednesday and I feel my anxiety has got worse and I wake up with a knot in my stomach every morning like something awful is going to happen, and I don't want to be on my own, how long did it take for the medication to work for anyone and are these side affects normal??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes these side affects are normal. I have that same awful knot feeling. Side effects usually last 2-3 weeks. I was on 40 but side effects were too much so I cut down to 20. Still feel that way especially in mornings but citalopram can take 4-6 weeks to really take effect.
    • Posted

Thanks Steve, it's not so good right now, just want to stay in my house and I want the tablets to work now!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

You have to be patient as it can take time, however it differs from people it took a week for me to feel a bit of change, try to do exercises in the mean time they do help like breathing in and out for 5 minutes etc.
  • Posted

Hi I had a break from citalapram for 2 weeks 8 weeks ago and was changed to sertraline which was horrendous so 6 weeks ago I was put back on citalapram and for first 5 weeks I was a mess with terrible anxiety then at 5 weeks they suddenly kicked in after doc upped me to 40 mg but I also take propananol 40mg 3 times a day and 35mg amitrypyline at night and they seem to be working well but I felt like you I just wanted them to work but give them 4-8 weeks to take full effect or ask doc about upping your dose .
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

Thanks for that, I have no appetite at all and once I take them I am so tired, I wake up every morning with a knot in my stomach, not wanting to be on my own even tho I have 2 children, I'm always worried something is going to happen. Anyone else feel like this

• Posted

I've only just got my appetite back I had to make myself eat but my anxiety was really bad from 4am and by mid afternoon I was calmer so didn't eat til then I lost 1 1/2 stone and for first few weeks I cried all the time my kids are grown up but sometimes were at home but I didn't want to be at home went to my parents every day my mum suffers the same so understands.Just hang in there it will get better my morning anxiety was the last thing to go but just take one day at a time that's what I did and the days were so long but it will get better honestly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.