How long is too long?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram for over 6 years now.

I am on 40mg a day, started at 20mg, went to 30mg, weaned off slowly and eventually got down to 10mg.

Unfortunately, life decided to get in the way again and back up ton 40mg. I wasn't sleeping, couldn't concentrate, usual ruminating etc etc.

I just didn't realise how long it had been and am now getting worried that it is too high a dose.

I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to come off them (at the moment struggling with sudden death in the family and money worries - but then again who isn't).

I feel ok just now - just as I call it - muddling along.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Was just about to log off and your post arrived in my inbox, I was on them for 11 yrs - came off very very slowly last year. Was on the lowest dose. For approx 1 yr took every other day. Mine too was bereavement problems. These are NOT addictive but we are all so different. Did your doctor increase to 40mg? I'm against high doses and believe in talking talking talking. Crying crying crying. Screaming screaming screaming. I've done all that these last years. Self help you say? Yes and that Macymoo as difficult as it is. I do feel for you but you've done the right thing by joining this "group". We're all here with our heartwrenching stories and support so do keep in touch with the lovely people here. We ARE all in the same blinking boat my love. Embrace life please! Easier said than done at times but you WILL survive this because YOU OWE IT FIRSTLY to YOURSELF and to your dear beloved who has departed and everybody around you who loves you., You'll find LOTS of love here. Chin up and talk to doctor perhaps? Take care for now. hugs xxxxx

• Posted

I too have been on them for around 6 years, swapped to mirap last October, they didnt work spiralled down and hit the bottom just after Xmas. I believe I have spent the last 6 + years on to low a dose 20mg sometimes 10mg citalopram . I took Doctor advice as not to try and find out why I was depressed, as it would just delay recovery. I have now started therapy and basically discovered that I have been depressed most of my adult life . I am determind to get back to a level and have a life and enjoy my family and what is important in life, If I have to take a tablet for the rest of my life so be it. An old neighbour of ours had heart problems when in his late 50s early 60s and 4 or 5 heart attacks and has been on medication since, he is now 94 and still drives. My point is and I'm guilty of this to, the fact that we have the take a tablet to feel normal, because it's our brain, but if someone has a dodgy heart or lungs, or diabeties etc it's ok. take the tablets for as long as need be and enjoy life
  • Posted

Hi hun,

I just feel so much for you because i have empathy. The way i see it is this. My sister has a thyroid problem, she takes 2 pills a day or she becomes worse. My sister will have to take these pills for the rest of her life. I am taking 40mg of Cit a day if i dont take them i cannot function or enjoy life, we BOTH have an illness that can be treated with medication and if i have to stay on them for life so be it but if i can find another way to reduce my dose great. It it helps then take it lovely. Life is too short. I hope that you are finding the site helpful, it is very reassuring to me that i am not on my own, how about you? Xx

• Posted

Thanks guys - i think its just the stigma attached to mental illness. People were talking about it in work and someone said "i dunno why people take drugs and fill thereself with that crap, you need to deal with the issue". I was SO angry but couldn't say anything as no-one in work knows!

I know it is a chemical imbalance in the brain - most non sufferers don't.

I feel as if I am on a hamster wheel. The last six years have been bloody awful:

Split up from my partner after 14 years (my choice, he made me ill)

Gran died

Cat died

Dad died suddenly

2 best friends died in bizzare circumstance

Aunt died suddenly

Made redundant

Moved to england to be with new partner

Moved house 7 times in four years

actually writing all that down made me laugh - its like a soap opera!

hey ho tomorrow is another day!

• Posted

Morning! Yes you have endured some sh*te!!! I found recording the POSITIVES too once I realized I had POSITIVES! I can assure you the positives will out the negatives in time Macymoo. Keep on going and check those positives out. In the meantime, sending you POSITIVE vibes and hugs. x Just re-read this. There ARE more POSITIVES than negatives in this post lol Good sign eh?
    • Posted

Aww thank you!

I having more good days than bad, I have a great job, my partner understands my mood swings and deals with them accordingly - so it is positive!

When the downward spiral hits, it hits hard, getting out of bed is a struggle! But I do as I know it can and will be better, not cured but better!

Hugs back to you xx

• Posted

Hi Macy,

I, like you, started off at 20mg for 6-8 weeks, but I wasn't getting any better, if anything I was getting a little bit worse.

I then progressed to 30mg which I saw a little bit of change but then like yourself, things took a dramatic turn so my doctor suggested that I go up to 40mg, which apparently is the highest dosage.

I have been on 40mg for about 3 months now & I personally don't see any difference but I am aware it could take several months for any change. I don't think there is such a thing as being on anti-depressants for too long, but have you had any side effects? If you're worried, you should make an appointment just to seek some advice.

Have you seen any change when you've went on a higher dosage? Also with the death of a family member and money worries, have you tried seeking help, even online? I know people that spoke online just to get it off their chests and it seemed to do them the world of good.

I am taking you're having your good and bad days, and mediocre days too.

I hope you start to feel a difference, some time soon.

• Posted

Thanks mrrshaw

I have more good days than bad at the moment.

I attended therapy for 3 months so have a good foundation to go back and deal with things, do my hot thoughts etc.

Don't be too hard on yourself, getting out of bed each day is a positive, baby steps.

Look after yourself x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.