How long is your period?

Posted , 7 users are following.

As I have mentioned before, I get my period every 21 days. I have had heavy periods with large clots for the past 2+ years. Since adulthood, I have been lucky enough to only have three days of bleeding. Well, things have changed. For my last three periods, I have had 4-5 days of bleeding. It's too much! I have been researching ablation, but am too chicken. For those of you who are still cycling, how many days of bleeding do you have and how heavy?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Stacy. Up until last year my periods were 3-4 days. Now it could last up to 7 days which for me is long. But I have heard some women can bleed 10 plus days. It really sucks. Hopefully they get shorter and further apart soon.

• Posted

I really hope this isn't my new norm. I'm on day 5 and have had enough. I want my period to stop, but I am afraid my symptoms will get worse. I wonder which is the lesser of two evils.

• Posted

Like you Staci, mine are every 21 days for the last few years. They are very light though, only bleeding lightly 2 days but then spotting another 2-3 days.

My problem is I am so sensitive to the rise and fall of the hormones now and with a short cycle I only feel decent a few days a month.

I wish I could figure out what hormone/s out of balance cause the short cycle. I suspect low estrogen based on my other main symptoms of hair shedding, low libido and joint stiffness. I am only 42 though, I can't imagine going through this several more years if menopause doesn't happen until 50 or older.

• Posted

I really need to get to the light period stage. I am horrified by the amount of blood I lose. It is scary! I am sensitive to hormone fluctuations too. I have been getting menstrual migraines for almost a decade. I'm just frustrated and want to get back to my normal life.

• Posted

I hear ya. It affects every aspect of life and to hear some women are still having issues post menopause is discouraging. I can't help but wonder if this is the new me - balding, asexual, bloated, bitchy with constant aches and pains 😃

I jokingly told my husband that I understand why there are so many divorces at this time of life. I don't like or recognize myself 90% of the time and would leave if I could lol.

• Posted

On one hand, I want it to be over, on the other hand, I am afraid menopause will be worse. It is so disheartening.

I am single, so I assume I will remain a spinster!

• Posted

I agree. My only hope is that maybe the up and down hormones will level out with menopause but who knows.

• Posted

Mine have been every 28 days so many symptoms around this time that I hate it!! But 2 days lite then maybe 2-3 heavy with clots then another 2 days lite... But this last time it started heavy very quickly. Have you told your Dr about this? I just had my yearly pap with the PA--- I didn't care as I usually get in quicker with them. BUT she seemed concerned (she's young). She said everyone's 'normal' is different after I told her I could soaked a tampon and a pad sometimes in half an hour.. So she scheduled an ultrasound just to make sure everything is ok and then Dr and I could decide if this is ok with my body.. This is my normal but perhaps someone else would think that it's odd.. My iron has always been good (I eat iron rich foods and take iron pill) BUT she also wants me to do another lab to test my ferriten levels as they were 'low' this time or something like this...

• Posted

I have not mentioned it to my obgyn. I was there a few months ago and she was more concerned with my migraine aura than anything else. I was told my symptoms didn't sound perimenopausal, they sounded "adrenal." She confirmed her hypothesis, by stating my blood work did not reflect peri. So, she was not helpful. She did try to push ablation on me. It is funny you mention ferritin. I had my first migraine aura while on the third day of an extremely heavy period. I literally just read today that end of period migraines are caused by low ferritin levels and not estrogen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.