How long recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am coming into my fourth week, the pain has gone, bloating and what feels like heart burn,

But my tummy still don't feel quite right, it sometimes feel like it's empty when it's not and I feel what seems like a little pressure on my tummy but not always in the same place, feeling weak and tired seems often. I feel like my tummy is unsettled, I finish my antibiotics last week, I had two lots, sometimes my head is also a little light I just wish it would all go away someone told me it can take up to six weeks or more but I'm sure that's got to be wrong

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It will be four weeks since my resection on Tuesday. I was opened up but didn't need a bag. I feel tired, as you do. I feel bloated, nauseous at times and my bowels are just beginning to settle down. Yes, it'll take time. My light headedness is, I'm told, down to my rapid weight loss.

Good luck on your road to recovery.

• Posted

did you have surgery?I had Diverticular and 3 lots of antibiotics.It took 8 weeks to settle down,had low peristalsis( movement of bowel) and didnt even look at going back to red meat or chicken.Also had discomfort which didnt leave me.Im wondering if a bout of this does permanent damage to your bowel.
    • Posted

Some people, Justin, have just one attack. They heed advice on how to try and avoid another attack and that can lead to a healthy bowel without any more problems. However, if attacks become frequent then the bowel can be damaged. That's when surgery can come into play.

Good luck and I'm hoping that attack will be the only one.

• Posted

Why do you not eat red meat or chicken Justin?
    • Posted

I was eating lotsof red meat prior to attack, and experiencing bloating and constipation.Since my first attack, i only eat easily digestables,rice, porridge,cabbage and nothing heavy or hard to digest.lost 10 kg and feeling healthier.
    • Posted

Justin, my first attack had docs baffled. It wasn't until I had Barium enema that diverticular was diagnosed. By then it was too late because I had continued on a diet deemed as not recommended to somebody with diverticular.

• Posted

Hi Bethia

Unfortunately it can take many weeks - I am now coming up to 4 months and am still in pain some days, and the pain does seem to move around.  However in previous attacks it has cleared up within a few weeks some times.  I have got the results of all my recent tests and been told it is just severe Diverticular Disease and I don't need any further treatment.  No advice given apart from a leaflet, which is where these forums are so helpful for us to share our experiences and what helps us.  I'm going to start Aloe Vera juice tomorrow as a lot of people have reported good benefits.  Don't know how that would fit in with your diabetes though - you might need to check with your GP.  I seem to remember you were concerned about returning to work, which also might account for some of your tiredness.  I did find strenuous activity did exacerbate the symptoms.  All I can say is I feel a lot better after 4 months than I did after one month.  It's not easy but you just have to pace yourself.  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.