How long should it take for an increase in dose to make you feel better?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on 30mg for 9weeks, and about a week ago upped to 45mg. The first few days of 45mg I felt really calm and the most normal I have felt yet but I started feeling a bit low and anxious again Thursday and still feel bad today (Sunday). I push through regardless, I don't mope about but I just find that I have 3-4 good days, and then I get 3-4bad days. Am I expecting too much from my increase just a week after I started? Does it take longer before an increase works 100%?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I think that the answer is yes,I know everyone responds differently but I found that it took a while to feel less anxious and then to feel degrees better. I do think it eventually can help you get so so much better. I am working my way back down and am now on 15mg . You do have to be patient and kind to yourself and accept that there is a way out of this .....Good Luck
  • Posted

Thanks Debbie. I have been very patient. I've been suffering for about 7months now, and although much better, still got qutie a way to go before I'm back to me. I just feel overcome by it all at times. I have reassuring happy days and then it's almost asthough my happy days then trigger the anxiety because I think it's too good to be true..which is silly..but it happens! I've only been on my 45mg dose for 8 days now, I did wonder whether it's normal that it could make me feel a bit worse initially which would explain why im feeling a bit rotten today rolleyes xx
  • Posted

Hi rachael

Yes I would agree with Debbie that any change in levels of Mirtazapine takes some time to work. There is a period of a couple of weeks I would say whilst you acclimatise to the new levels in your system. Its a strange old drug Ive found, which seems to make you feel worse first in order to feel better later........

But you will feel better soon, hang in there!

Jane

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

45mg is the top dose for Mitazipine, although as others say it may take a week or two to be effective, it is much quicker than the old antidepressents.

I`ve been on that dose for about 8 or 9 years, and to be honest I`ve never looked back.

For my depression it was (and is) quite literally a life saver.

Hope you find some relief from your illness, as I`m sure you will when you settle down on the current dosage.

All the best

Paddy

• Posted

Thank-you all for your messages of reassurance. I've had a bit of a teary day today as I have had a couple of bad days and I finally just had a little cry about it all to my mum, who agrees that it's no immediate thing and I need to take each day as it comes and know that it's a gradual thing. I'm mainly an anxiety sufferer, possibly suffering from depression due to the anxiety and I just find that I'm a bit up and down most of the time. I can have good days and then I can have a series of bad ones. Only 8days into the 45mg dose, but been on mirtazapine for about 10weeks now. 30mg brightened me in general, but still suffered with quite unsettling anxiety most days, hoping that 45mg will be just what I need to push me that bit further. Thanks again for your replies. I must hang on in there!
  • Posted

Can you please let me know how you got on with 45mg mirt. I have been on it for 9 days and anxiety seems to have increased. I am restless and agitated. I had been on 15mg for 26 days, then 30mg for 6 days, then consultant put me on 45mg which seems to be making me worse. I am waking at 3-4 in the night and cannot get back to sleep.
    • Posted

I had no problems with sleep on 45mg at all. But I've just posted a thread about withdrawal as I felt mood and anxiety wise it was starting to be counterproductive and I put on so much weight.

I felt pretty rough for a good 3 weeks after starting 45mg and would urge you to give it 3-4weeks before you give up as I know people who have great experiences on mirtazapime. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Have had to resort to a Diazepam on some days although I think frustration and impatience are causing me to be more anxious ie am I doing this to myself? I have had a calm period on a couple of days of late for about 5 hours.  Do you think this is as a result of the Mirt taking effect. Most people say I look a lot better but I cannot enjoy anything or settle anywhere. I feel like I am just passing time waiting to feel less anxious and relaxed. I sometimes cannot wait for 10pm to take my tablet as at least I will then be asleep and have some relief.  I cannot get interested in anything and have to really make an effort to do any housework. When you say you felt pretty rough for a good 3 weeks, can you be a bit more explicit? I have started to think that upping the dose to 45mg after only being on 30mg for 6 days might be a bit too much.  Your opinion will be most valuable.
    • Posted

The first 3 weeks, I found that my mood was quite low which sets my anxiety off. Like you... I struggle to be patient and the desperate need to be 'normal' is part of the problem. You have to strip it back and just accept that you feel awful with the outlook that it won't be forever. You need to keep on going and not fall prisoner to it. Going back to work has been the best thing for me as I'm not stuck at home worrying. 
    • Posted

Think you hit the nail on the head there. I am retired and so have time on my hands. Not enough to do, even if I could muster up the motivation. Yes my mood is low and at times feel helpless and hopeless and despairing. Did you notice any small improvements in the first 3 weeks? It is getting through the time until the tablets kick in. Was it then a gradual getting better. I am looking for hope and encouragement and that it will soon improve as I don't know how much longer I can stand this.
    • Posted

Have you any areas of interest that you could volunteer somewhere. Helping others is a good for anxiety....forget your problems and help others. 

I had moments of calm in that 3weeks and generally 45mg helps a lot of people. I just found it too numbing in the end hense why I've been mirtazapine free for about 6days now. Having some withdrawal anxiety and cold/flu symptoms but nothing uncontrollable. 

Just be kind to yourself, give yourself a slightly forceful push to do something you did enjoy, see friends, family and surround yourself with things that make you smile. Its really hard...and you won't immediately notice improvements, you need to train your mindset to stop being so frightened of the anxiety.. I just tell it to bring it on now...wait for it to pass..and then move on. It takes practice and time and of course patience ...all easier said than done!

• Posted

What were your symptoms during those first 3 weeks on Mirt? And how long did your calm periods last?  I am slightly concerned that upping the dose to 45mg from 30mg (only 6 days on this) may be heightening my anxiety. How long between dose increases did you have? During the first week of 45mg, I didn't do too bad although I was in hospital for this time, but have had a couple of horrible anxiety attacks since coming home. 
    • Posted

Rachael please help.  I am fixated on this horrible anxiety and sense of impending doom. I cannot focus on anything.
    • Posted

I can't remember exactly how long it lasted but I do know, that I never really settled on mirtazapine. I remember being very anxious in first few weeks, and going out, seeing people and doing things was the only thing that took my mind from it. I've been mirtazapine free now for 10 days, so trying to remember back to the beginning of 45mg is quite hard I'm afraid. If your symptoms are unbareable, then I would go to your doctor and seek either reassurance or support in changing to something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.