How long till the medication works?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all, Im so glad to find somewhere to post where people understand whats happening to me!

I am 32, I was diagnosed 13 weeks ago with Graves Disease after going to the Dr with tremors in my legs, sweating, feeling sooooo hot all the time, anxiety and palpatations.

I am on carbimazole 40mg and Propananol 160mg and they just dont seem to be doing anything. I have had sore eyes for about a week now and a sore throat. I went back to the Dr today about this and he has arranged a full blood count re the sore throat and told me to bathe my eyes with water.

How long did most of you have to wait to see a difference in your symptoms? To be fair the tremors have gone but thats it and if anything I feel more anxious now than I did before!

Thanks Kate x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

By the way I dont really understand it but my T4 is 54 and my T3 is 22.3 -maybe someone can tell me what it should be? Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Kate. Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly. It will take time for your symptoms to settle down, but you will start to feel better soon. Have you been on medication for thirteen weeks? They usually say you'll start to improve in a few weeks, but everyone is different. I have eye problems, and my eyes are sore at the moment. I use artificial tears, I get them on prescription and they help a lot.

Your T4 is too high, but I don't know about the T3, my endo doesn't check that

Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Keep in touch.

Take care,

Marigold

• Posted

Hi Marigold, thank you for your reply.

Yes I have been on medication for 13 weeks, my GP put me on 15mg and then I saw the endocrinologist and he put me on to 40mg, the plan was to reduce this to 20mg last month but as the symptoms are no better my GP decided to leave me on 40mg. He has written to the endo again as my next appt is in Feb 2012! and the GP wanted me seen again before then.

• Posted

Hi Kate. I think 15mgms of Carbimazole was a low dose. The endo started me on 40 mgms., and I started to feel better in a few weeks. February does seem a long time to wait for another appointment. I hope your GP manages to get you an earlier one. At the moment you probably feel you'll never get better, but you will, I promise. smile

Take care.

Marigoldx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up