How long till you can actually walk on foot

Posted , 6 users are following.

For those of you who had one foot done at a time, how long did it take before you could actually walk on that foot without a cane or crutch?  Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joyce I had bunion done & screwed plus 2nd toe knuckle removed & also a Mortons Neuroma removed all on same foot - I was walking with hospital shoe & no crutch or cane in 7 days. You should heel walk & face foot outward like Charlie Chaplin!! When I went for an xray one week after op I had to walk a fair way from the carpark to X-ray dept & it was fine - just tiring!! Obviously  until 6 weeks you should still rest foot up for the 10 mins in each hour but I was encouraged to walk to help healing process . 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness.  That's wonderful, Daren, and so encouraging.  I had a simple bunion procedure with bow plate in big toe, but the doc said no weight bearing for 6 weeks.  You can imagine the feeling of entrapment. It's been three weeks, mostly in bed. I have a hard cast on now, so I might try heel walking, even though it's not a "walking" cast.  I do get a "boot' on Thursday, so maybe (hopefully) he'll encouage me to walk.  Thank you so much.
    • Posted

Recovery can be a lonely & frustrating place Joyce but I feel sure that after Thursday you will be up and about &  turning a corner mentally too about how worthwhile it will all be it just a few more weeks!! Good luck & take care
  • Posted

i am 6 weeks on wednesday and i was walking in the house the first week in the house but when i went out side i never started doing that until last week.i got bunion done and pins in 2toes on left foot.hope u are healing well and just be careful and dont overdo it.your foot will let you know when it needs 2 rest.happy healing.

• Posted

Thank you, Mary, for your reply.  I find it very interesting that my doctor said not to walk for 5-6 weeks.  I am so afraid of that first step.  It's great to hear how others are doing because one mostly hears bad things about bunion surgery. Thank you for your advice about not overdoing it.
  • Posted

Hi I am in week 4 and no longer using crutches at home, with surgical shoe, but just take one when going out. You will get tired, as others say you will know you need to rest. Everyone will be different, hope healing goes well!
    • Posted

Thank you, Caroline.  That is so helpful.  I am so afraid. So I will follow your advice about getting rest.
  • Posted

I have been wondering the same thing...I am 10 days post-op and see my surgeon in 2 days to have soft cast removed and hard cast put on. I had bunions removed, however, I also had work done on my heel, so I can not put any weight on my foot at all. As I lie here...I wonder how difficult it will be to walk again. Will there be pain? Will I have to learn to walk again? How soon can I have the other foot done? Can I return to teaching in August??
    • Posted

Beleive me, Susie, I am not going to have my other foot done.  I'm too old to lose 6-8 weeks.  I would think you could get back to teaching in August.  My advice is to graually take lots of Vitamin C for healing.  A lot of people still don't believe it but it works.  My doc was truly amazed at the healing of my wound.  Can't wait to see it tomorrow when the hard cast comes off.  I just pray he'll want to get me start walking.  Lots of water, rest, and C.  Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Joyce.  I had right foot done last year and left in January this year.  Akins osteotomy for bunion and also hammer toe pinned both times.  Each time I walked out of hospital in heel walking shoe three hours after surgery using crutches.  I was walking unaided in the shoe within a week.
    • Posted

Thank you.  I guess I don't have a walking shoe.  Will find out when I go to doc this week.  That's fantastic.
  • Posted

Hi Joyce, I had my bunion done 6 weeks ago with a v section and screw in at join of 1st metatarsal. No weight bearingfor 6 weeks, had a boot and heel walking only. I have taken crutches back and walking without boot. Toe still very sore, does not bend when squatting down to pick up things off floor. Will try driving this week but nervous if i have to brake suddenly! Foot swells up if i walk too much, but i guess it is about moderation. With walking 'normally' the biggest problem now is my back being very painful, as the body adjusts to the  spine walking even and not compensating for the different level of the feet! Just have it massage or rub liniment on and epsom salts baths and hope it settles down. After all we have been through i guess we dont want to undo all the surgeon's good work.Good luck with your recovery, which will be gradual.
    • Posted

Thank you, Bellapupina....very helpful advice.  My doctor has never told me that I could walk on my heel.  My foot still hurts 3 weeks out, so it's good to know that i will continue to have pain and swelling for a few weeks more, and that this is normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.