How long to take the pain medicine?

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello, for the host of you who had the gallbladder removed I would like to Know how long did you take the pain medicine for? I had my surgery on Friday and I am feeling much better but I still have some pain specially at night, so yesterday and today I took it only before bed and after midnight when I wake up from being uncomfortable sleeping sitting down. I do not want to become addicted to hydrocodon and I certainly do not want to damage my liver taking all that acetaminophen, but I do not tolerate pain well. How long did you guys had pain for? Also when where you able to sleep flat on your back or on your side? I have to sleep sitting down on the bed because I cannot lay down flat on my back or on my side. My belly button area still hurts and my right side too.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think I took mine for about 5-7 days, but the longer I went, the less I needed.

I wasn't worried about getting addicted to the meds, but I was more worried about not being able to move my bowels because of the constipation from the meds. I drank a lot of plum juice to help keep my bowels moving.

I slept on my left side with a body pillow as support for almost 3 weeks. The first night I could lay on my right side was heavenly.

• Posted

I'm a week post-op and still having to sleep on my back only. Tried sleeping on my right side with pillows was a mistake lol. I stopped taking pain meds a few days ago as I couldn't deal with the constipation.
  • Posted

Hi Carolina,I took mine for a couple of days. Tbh I hated taking them due to the nausia & spaced out feeling. I know what you mean about becoming addicted its a scary thought when that happens.

I had lots of pillows so I slept sat up. I couldnt sleep on my side it hurt to much. The shoulder pain also became bothersome so the pillows helped.

It takes a few days for the pain to subside and when it does its heavenly!☺

The pain killers do cause constipation so make sure you drink plenty of boiled water.

Good luck& I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

About a week total. Codeine paracetamol ibrupofen for 3 days. Then dropped codeine then dropped ibruprofen 2 days later and just paracetamol when I needed. I was surprised how quick I came off them.
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April. Lay on my back straught away andmy side a few nights later.

I am better than I was but realised I was not settlig down again as I should have done.

Had gastroscopy a couple of weeks ago which showed I have a Hiatus Hernia.

Apparently this is quite common, people just live with them nowadays.

I do not take pain relief unless I really feel I have to.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

I couldn't sleep lying down for a good week or so.  I had to sleep sitting up with my arms resting on cushions.  Then I was sleeping on my back propped up for a good month.  Don't worry about becoming addicted to the pain relief.  Really that is a myth.  If you need it you need it.  Otherwise it is impossible to move around properly.  Everyone is different so I would go with how you feel.  Small steps and you'll get there.  Good luck.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up