How long until I feel better

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi- I'm a 33 year old woman who has started on 20mg of Prozac (generic) over the last three weeks. I have been feeling ok but I think that is because I was on Effexor and I think it's still leaving my system. I find that each day, rather than getting better, I feel like I'm getting sadder.

How long did it take for your medication to "kick in". I see my doctor on the 16th but I want to give it a fair shot before I wrote it off as 'not working for me'.

Thank you for your input and good luck to all of us. 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh and also, have you noticed any weight gain? I've put on a couple pounds but I don't know if it's related to the medication?!
    • Posted

and yes sad to say I put weight on too, whether due to the meds or me being a greedy so and so is hard to say...
  • Posted

hi Rebecca, sorry to hear you are having it rough with the Fluoxetine, sad to say that is the path of this medication, a period of feeling crap before it kicks in, but once it does, and it almost certainly will, you will soon forget the dark days, foughly 8-12 weeks for the best of it, varies person to person, and if after say 8 weeks you have no improvement its feasible that upping to 40mg might be better for you, but thats a long way off, one day at a time nice n easy. plenty of things to occupy your mind like books, music, a walk in the fresh air, the more your mind is occupied on things you enjoy the less time it has to dwell on negative thoughts. always plenty, and varied, splendid advice on here from a multitude of people who have been there, got the t-shirt. so definately way to early for writing it off! good luck Rebecca smile
  • Posted

I started feeling slightly better after 4 weeks, but I didn't really feel the full effects until I'd been on prozac for about 8 weeks, and then I realised how great I felt. It really does take that amount of time, so please hang in there.

I lost a few pounds in the first two weeks due to the nausea but then I put them back on plus a couple more - when I'm down I eat for comfort! I've lost it all now, and a bit more.

I know it's miserable but if you've done three weeks you really have done the worst of it. It can ONLY get better now x

• Posted

I'm on 7weeks and I don't feel any improvement in my anxiety. Should I give it more time or do you think it's time for me to switch?
    • Posted

I guess you'd have to speak with your doctor. I'm going on close to six weeks and mine upped my dose from 10 to 20 and now 40 mg and I am still not 100%. I've put on weight and I feel like it's just taking the edge off. I've heard that it takes time though so don't give up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.