How long until the insomnia goes away?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I posted yesterday on how I got "too much sleep", but last night, I got horrible sleep, maybe 5-6 hours total. I am very early into my "journey" with Citalopram; day 6. But I've seen some people report insomnia weeks into it. I was just wondering if the insomnia will EVER go away at this point...I just hate going to work feeling like this!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also, I've seen people report that they wake up multiple times a night. I do the same, but I also feel like I have restless leg syndrome...I believe someone also mentioned that.

• Posted

Hi - it may have been me!!

13 weeks in total on citalopram- have been on 20mg for 10weeks (3wks initially on 10mg). Haven't had a good night's sleep in all that time. At best I wake up 3-4 times and can get back to sleep but mostly I am awake for long periods- usually after 3-4am. I've also been told I have restless leg syndrome which is worse when I am really tired.

GP suggested I change to sertraline but really can't face the disruption and side effects. I may have to do this but I'm going to try and stick to the citalopram as I'm so much better in myself and went through hell with the side effects initially.

I'd love to hear anyone else's tips for sleep and also whether I'm being unrealistic in hoping it will settle

• Posted

Yeah, I wouldn't want to change medications after going through all that with Citalopram! It would almost be like hitting the reset button and starting over. Everyone is different...I'll just have to see how it turns out for me.

• Posted

What's your experience with the restless legs? Also how long have you been on citalopram and at what dose?

• Posted

I take it at night, so technically today is my 6th day. I started at 20mg. My restless legs just feel like a "temper tantrum" lol. I just wanna keep kicking and moving them around while I'm tossing and turning in my sleep.

• Posted

Have you tried exercising? As soon as I had a bit of energy - about a week into 10mg Cita, I started cardio (on an elliptical, to avoid jarring my joints). I could only do 5 minutes at first. Now, after a month and 4 days, I'm up to 30 minutes and then I do some light weights. The endorphins will definintely help with the depression and most likely, your sleep issues. I had to change my schedule - I started getiing up half hour earlier, and now I wake up a full hour earlier than before to be sure not to miss my morning workout. To relax, try lavender essential oil, chamomile tea - try to cut out any caffeine and sugar. If you are addicted to caffein like I was, you WILL have nasty headaches, though. Try to keep off any electronics at least an hour before you go to bed and maybe a warm bath/shower to relax. Good luck, and hang in there! We're all here to help each other!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.