How long will my knee feel stiff

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 6 weeks post TKR, how long does your knee feel stiff for. Some times it feels alright,but some time it feels tight.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately there is no hard and fast answer to this. . .It depends on the exercise you do, but mostly it seems to just depend on . . . who knows what!  At eight months mine sometimes still feels tight although only rarely painful . . .For some people, it goes away quickly, others it takes ages.  Once the swelling has disappeared, you will notice an improvement, I expect. . . . .
  • Posted

It varies - the tight band above the knee eases around ten to twelve weeks. Stiffness can persist especially in evenings for some months even up to a year. Keeping mobile eg doing knee lifts and other exercises helps as does elevation and hydration. Immobility leads to stiffness but overdoing it leads to swelling and stiffness! Exercise bike is great. Massage really helps and I found acupuncture helpful too as I was very stiff at four months. Swimming has been good and I only get the odd day now but no pain - am just eight months. It's been slow for me but I never have up and took advice from this forum and Physio feel sure I will get totally fit. But sadly the other knee will need doing at some point and is quite sore. Good luck early days
    • Posted

I am using my exercise bike twice a day, plus I do my exercises also. I am  going swimming this week. Plus going back to work this week so hopefully the stiffness will get better.
  • Posted

Hi mine is still stiff and fells tight after three month hope ot gets better soon xx
  • Posted

how long is a piece of string ???  sorry i dont mean to be smart but everybody is different it can take anytime even up to a year for some but others find stiffness goes in 6wks if your one of the lucky ones .main thing is that for majority it dose go  best of luck
  • Posted

This is still early days for you.

I had TKR 3 years ago and was told it would be about a year before I began to feel the benefit. For me I reckon that was about right.

It does get better over time.

Sarah

• Posted

There's hope for me yet then! Today was bad - 8 months on - most days are okay and some are almost normal. Still tender on scar. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.