How much can he tell from an X-ray?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I see the surgeon on March 8th. Going for my xray on the first. Hopefully he will have my xrays on his desk when i see him. As Ive said,I have a clicking/clunking of my replaced knee which i can feel rather than hear almost every time i move. There is no pain with this and if thats all i have to put up with i am happy as everything else seems fine. Pain in general is minimal. But I cant help thinking something could be loose due to the clicking. Does anyone know whether he would be able to tell if anything wrong by looking at the xray? Or have any thoughts?

0 likes, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like you are pretty upbeat with your progress.  Don't worry about the clunking. Yes it is audible to others and yes it feels weird, but if you keep on with strengthening your quads it will disappear and you knee will be stable.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

John - my (1st) TKR WAS loose - my leg gave way anywhere & everywhere. It was replaced 4 months ago after a year of hell - yes I clunk clicked, & I do now with the replacement TKR. When it gave way (I had to wait a full year, even tho they knew it was bad - it's all to do with the bone healing from the 1st "attack"!!) the pain was excruciating. It was misaligned too, but that could have happened in the 1st few weeks when pain overtook everything else & it had given way - moving the posts. I'll never know, & I guesss the surgeons won't either. What I am saying, is learn to put up with the clunking, I too hate it, but know this replacement is in correctly, so it's a small price to pay. IF it was loose, believe me - you'd know about it!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are right about the pain of a loose replacement. Absolute pure pain.  If you concentrate on strengthening your thigh muscles you will notice that the clunking will ease.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for relating your experience Veronica. Sorry to hear about your really bad experience. But glad to hear about how you are now. As said if its only the clunking ill be happy. After all they cant replace like for like. And your last sentence is telling and makes sense.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

John, my physician told me that the clicking (which I can only feel, and it does feel weird) is normal.  He said that I'll have it forever, just part of the deal.  No pain with it, just like a "catch" when I walk.  

See what your Dr. says though

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Mary ann. My experience is the same. Only feeling,i cant hear it. THe physio said she could the other day,but shes younger than me! Sounds like your guy is approachable. Mine isnt,but he is going to be on the 8th. Great to hear other peoples experiences.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had an awesome Dr. (in Richmond, VA)  He has given me as much time as needed to ask questions and he explains everything.  They should all be like that.  Good luck with your appointment and bring that list of concerns!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Still early days.  I promise you it will go, it's a hard slog and there will be days when you think the clicking and clunking will never ease, but it will. One day you'll suddenly realise there is silence and not weird feeling.  When the reattach every during the operation, they cannot be 100% the right tension,  but by exercising and strengthening your quads you will get there. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's great to hear.  Thanks for this bit of sunshine!  I'm doing really well and feel so bad for those out there who are struggling.  I have the usual post op issues, but nothing I can't deal with.  So, thank God, and my sincere thoughts for all who are not there yet.  

Thanks again!!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up