How much exercise?

Posted , 8 users are following.

9 wks TKR and am getting so confused over exercising. I was getting along slowly but surely ,then last week in physio I went on a cross trainer machine as I can't yet do a full rotation on bike. I think I've overstretched as back of both my knees have been aching for days! I have severe arthritis in my sacroiliac joint, fibromyalgia, a sacral nerve implant for bowel problems and also needing second knee TKR soon. I'm wondering why physio thinks that after one TKR I should be able to use these machines when I've never used them in my life before. The last 2 yrs I've shuffled round as my knees were so bad so even walking was very difficult. I've been doing my exercises at home regular and have this week been in the pool doing water exercise. Physio tells me one day I'm doing too much and to ice and elevate, next time they're putting me on a cross trainer!!!!! 

I really need some advice on how often and what specific exercises now at 9 weeks + and 100 deg bend. My knee feels very stiff every time I start walking and both the backs of my knees are really aching. 

Im just getting in a bit of a tizz with myself at the moment and soooo tired too 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you should think about sitting down with your gp and lay out your entire situation and seek advice from him, not only for you but also your PT. You and conditions are one of a kind and deserve one of a kind considerations.
  • Posted

totally agree with OFG - a cross trainer sounds a bit excessive ... I am like you, I can't do a full revolution on the bike as yet (am 10 weeks Post op) and my *new PT* said that we have lots of other exercises to concentrate on before we hit the bike. Like you, Chris, I was never on one before the surgery, altho I don't have your other issues ... but I can't imagine trying to do something like that at this point ... even the threadmill scares the bejesus out of me .... I see myself flying off the end ...definately talk to your GP who has that holistic view of your situation and can (and should) coodinate with all the healthcare folks who are helping you. Some of these guys are too hung ho! take care of yourself and feel free to say NO if it sounds like a bad thing ... Best to you Donna
  • Posted

hi chris well you are right about one thing physios sometimes crazy about what you should and should not do no wonder you feel confused  as abit of advice i wouldnt go near a cross trainer the bike is more than enough the cross trainer is very difficult for knee problem its hard on the knees when i went to gym to do strenghtening for my knee post revision tkr gym instructor told me not to use crosstrainer because its very harsh on knees and the only machine to use was the bike and told me to use the recumbent bike (the one with the back on it ) its easier to cycle as you can move the seat back if your bend is not great i thought it was fantastic as i only have an upright one at home i love the bike there .other than the bike i used the step for step ups to strenghten the muscles and i used free weights to build muscle it annoys me that physios tell people to do stuff they cant possibly do  most important thing at 9wks is to do stretches and and work on the bend walk often but not too far plenty of rest inbetween   sounds like your exausting yourself little and often is best if you cant turn the pedels on the bike push it forward and backward that will work the knee enough and it will turn the pedels when your ready plus make sure saddle is up high so it makes it easier  our new knees might be mecanical but we are not and we all improve at our own pace
    • Posted

You're so right, I'm going to concentrate on stretching and bending , I'm using my pedal machine and il remember the story of the tortoise and the hare !!!!
  • Posted

I'm 23 weeks po from new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea. I have muscle wastage due to wearing a knee support for 11 years prior to op (was considered too young for op before, I'm 56 now) so am having to work hard to build up muscles. I too couldn't do full revolution on exercise bike until about 11 weeks, before that I just used to rock pedals backwards and forwards. And as for the cross trainer I resembled bambi on ice, I never did get the hang of it! You do what you're comfortable with, all will come good eventually. It's a long hard slog for some of us, stick with this forum........it offers all sorts of advice! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.