How much exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have had two tkr 1st sept 15 2nd Jan 2016 so both been overa year now doing ok re movement and have good bend in both . I did all exercise and still am swimming twice a week breast stoke wasadvised this was ok by surgeon. I am able to walk a fair amount but I am still unable to kneel down on either knee. It's very uncomfortable to do so and painful. The advise I need if anyone can help I have been told not doing enough exercise needed to get on bike as well as swimming what are your opinions  please how much exercise do I need to do the knees still swell but now below the knee and at the back. I am also very aware of my knee all the time not pain but I know they are there . 

I have made appt with GP to discuss but would like other ideas before appt

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I can tell you my ortho surgeon told me I can never kneel again because of what they had to do to my patella during my knee replacements. Apparently my patella is much thinner now.
  • Posted

Some Dr's advise against kneeling on a permanent basis. Its been years since I would dare touch my knee to even a pillow. Whatever, don't attempt trying without foam or a pillow, then make sure you can still get back on your feet if you have to off the pain hits and gets out of control. Again I wouldn't attempt this without some to help you to youth feet. Caution is the guide word.

• Posted

Hello there, you sound like you are almost there to me.

I was told I would not be able to kneel after TKR, I think that is the general consensus of opinion of ortho surgeons. So not much you can do.

Who told you, you aren't doing enough exercise & why? If you are walking well & swimming & your bend & flex are good. What reason did this person from the exercise police tell you you aren't up to scratch? If you want harder exercise, do it in the pool. Before you do your lengths, walk a length, making sure you bend your knees & raise the legs rather than just step.

When I used to swim regularly there was a lady who never swam, just walked lengths in the shallow end. Try it, the water gives really good resistance whilst maintaining your buoyancy.

You can also still ice & elevate your legs, it certainly won't harm & may help the swelling.

Mr Chico Marx always says it takes 12 to 18 months to recover from TKR, you are not quite on the 18 yet. So don't fret too much. If you were in agony & badly swollen you'd have something to fret over. But it doesn't sound like you are that bad to me.

Get yourself checked over by all means, but

• Posted

Sorry hit send too damn early!

Please don't think you have been doing something wrong, it sounds to me as if you are on the edge of recovery.

Good luck when you see your GP.

Sorry, didn't mean to write 'war & peace' !

Take care

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.