How much in the first two weeks ??

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm due for anterior repair on 27th this month ... It is exactly 3 years ago today since I had my hysterectomy due to uterus prolapse ... I knew I had to take it easy and I thought I had done but obviously not good enough because here I am 3 years down the line with a stage 3 bladder prolapse ... Can't help but feel it's my fault ! When they say do nothing but rest for first two weeks .. Is this a case of bed rest ? How much walking can be done etc ... Could I iron some clothes of the ironing board was already out ... Stand and wash the dishes or load the dishwasher ? Really don't want to mess this one up so any advice would be great thanks ladies

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I'm sorry you are going through a surgery again.  I, too, have to repeat and I'm only one year and a bit post op.  When the docs say recovery is 6-8 weeks, that's rubbish.  It took me four months to feel really like myself again and then my husband suffered a major medical crisis and I was on my feet for two months after that.  Thus, I am prolapsed again.  Don't know when this surgery might be. I guess my point is that you have to take a lot longer than what they tell you, and a lot longer than what you think to fully heal.  We simply cannot heal quickly from these types of surgeries.  That's my experience anyway...
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, I have mine on 18,th. Been told to do nothing for the first

2 weeks.rest as much as much as possible and no lifting,bending or

Stretching. You can walk around but rest in bed or on sofa so your given

You body the best start for healing.. I saw my urogynacologist today and he

Told me to have complete rest for 2 weeks then I can potter around but still

No lifting bending and stretching.. He said if I feel pain in doing to much

But bring immobile isn't necessary,pottering around without straining

Is OK.with regards driving he said after 2 weeks I could see how I feel

But I have decided to was it till 6 weeks just to be safe. Hat are your

Symptom's hun? With me its just the bulge.do you have any pee issues.,

Can you hold your per for long time? Xxx

• Posted

Thankyou for your replies ladies , sorry to hear you are prolapsed again barb, it really is rubbish the stuff we have to go through. Looks like we'll be recovering at the same time Welshgirl with out surgeries being 9 days apart , hope all goes well for you Hun . I also have overactive bladder so am CJ sta fly on the toilet with not much warning that I need to go lol ... Other symptoms are the bulge , terrible backache and lower tummy pain , and the horrible dragging sensation ... I also get pulling feelings but my gynocologist said that may be from previous scar tissue as I have had a lot of tummy operations
    • Posted

Stupid phone lol ... Should say constantly on the toilet !!
    • Posted

Yes hun we will be going through the same thing.are yuou just having anterior

Repair with stitches? That's what I'm having done. Be nice

To keep in touch hun.I have this bulge which is horrible.

Ilook pretty but feel disgusting and an ugly old hag😢

I get s pressure feeling lower tummy area too.hate this

Feeling hun.xx

• Posted

Hi Sarah, rest means reast, my dr asked me to rest the first month which meant bed, sofa, little walks, not lifting, not blending, and if you have to go up or down stairs, do it slowly. Look for some interesting novels and movies and try to take it like holidays. Everything is going to be ok, don't worry too much...you will see what a relief is not to have a ball between your legs all the time ;-)
  • Posted

Hello Sarah,  I am having a second prolapse repair on May 10, 2016, and the first was March 19. 2016.  That was only 4 1/2 months ago.  My cystocele was a stage 4. It has returned, and now is a stage 3.  My doctor was not a urogynecologist.  She was a Urologist which is common in the U.S.  I should have investigated the first doctor, because I later found out that she had only done " a few" of these surgeries ever.  Take it from my experience to make sure you have an experienced Urogynecologist, and I assume you will be fine.  It doesn't matter how careful you are post surgery, if the doctor didn't do a good job.  I wish you well.  I am personally very freighted for myself, but I must have it done again.
  • Posted

Oh blimey Dorothy so sorry to hear your going they it again so soon !! You must be devastated ! Welshgirl it will be nice to keep intouch and keep ourselves sane lol ... Yes I'm having anterior repair with stitches , I'm convinced I have a rectocele aswell but we will find out more once am in surgery . Thankyou for your advice all of you ... I really am going to try and rest ... I'm an awful patient as an used to doing everything for everyone else lol .. Hubby taking two weeks off and my mum has said she is coming everyday ... My two eldest daughters are 22 and youngest is 11 so no probs with the not being able to give me some help back now lol
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I too had a hysterectomy plus anterior repair 3 year ago, info on discharge not very good and I was in too big a hurry to get better, telling us 6-12 weeks to recover not very realistic.

So like you prolapse recurredI am now 5 weeks post op this Wednesday, had an anterior and posterior repair this time.

Reading post on hear it would appear that those who do nothing for 1st 6 weeks and only minimal for next 6 weeks seem to have the best recoveries.

So have been much more careful this time, not doing anything for 1st 2 weeks, have gradually been adding short walks, pelvic floor exercises and some very light dusting over the past 2/ 3 weeks. But finding it much more painful and progress really slow this time. Maybe because I've got wounds at front and back.

Really must have overdone it yesterday after dusting my bedroom ( hadn't been done since before op) and had my 15 min walk in evening, ( had more than a little spot bleeding) but think it was the sitting up too long on couch and fell asleep late last night on sofa ( not very supportive) , woke up in early hours in agony, had to stay horizontal most of day today still throbbing. Don't remember it being this bad last time round at this point!

Looking Back though wish I had took the year out last time and not been so quick to get back on my feet. (Last time I was mopping floor snd hovering by 3 week mark, ironing and light wash loads by 4 weeks, and 40 min walks by 6 weeks, think that was far too quick).

Good luck with op on 27th, and take it really slowly this time.

Phyl xx

• Posted

Yep your story mirrors mine Hun , was too eager to get better and did all of what you have just mentioned ... I'm glad to hear you are taking it easy this time , I intend to as hard as it is going to be !! My work is expecting me back around the 6 week mark , we will see !
    • Posted

My work had me in for meeting around 3 week mark, felt great at that point, they said they will see if can get me some light work in office at 6/7 weeks if GP OKs it.

But my progress in last 2 weeks has been really slow every time I try to up the walking time or time on household tasks I start spot bleeding , so it's like 2 steps forward 1 step back.

To phone them after I see GP at 6 weeks

Having said that quite a few on forum appear to make great progress over weeks 7/8, so hears hoping.

Look after yourself,

Phyl xx

• Posted

Yes hun my two are 18and 20 so they will sure be doing more. My husband had

Taken first 2 weeks off to help me.he isd very good so can't complain at all.

Love to chat with you when we're are recovering together. Where

Are you in the country.I'm in Hampshire.😘😘

• Posted

When I had my bladder op which was keyhole surgery and I was home by 5,the surgery was at 2pm. I went home in a wheel chair to car then to bed where I stayed for 4 days, I then stayed home and didn't even lift a kettle with 1 cup worth of water .. My husband wouldn't let me. As for housework it's really not important my health is my no 1 so there is no way I even thought about housework let alone do anything. .. My surgeon told me when I first met him that if I didn't follow the rules (10 weeks max) with gradual build up. My op was 100% sucsessful.

From

I don't iron. :-0 xxx

• Posted

Whoops I did it again !

My surgeon warned me NOT to do anything for weeks so I did what he told me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.