How much is too much

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All, I had a total knee replacement 12 days ago and am home 7 days. I am now able to lift my leg in and out of bed and on and off the couch. I am walking between a quarter and a half a mile each day. Bending my knee is very painful but I would have just about a 90 degree bend. I find night-time uncomfortable and if I don't sleep I find the next day more difficult. I have been referred to physio but have not been called yet. I would like advice to see if people think I am on target or am I behind. I am also wondering how long people wore the surgical tights as they are so uncomfortable. Thanks Midge65

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There is no "ahead" or "behind".  Rule #1: Never compare your recovery to that of anyone else.  It will only cause you a lot of anxiety and pain.  Do NOT play those mind games...period.  On the "average", this is how people do...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

The problem is that you have no idea where you fall under the curve until you are done and then look back.  When you're in the middle of this, there is nothing to look at except your own recovery.  Everything else is a Jedi Mind Trick.

Eat well, hydrate, go to PT, get your ROM back, do the home heel slides, ice, elevate, yadda, yadda... "Too much" is always defined as your knee swelling.  Push it and the knee will slap you back.  Get a pedometer to track your steps.  Swelling?  Note the steps...back off...increase slowly.

The ROM will come in time as you work with your PT.  I started at -14 / +84.  After 10 weeks @ 2x/week, I was -1 / +123...but I did a lot of work on my own.  The goal is 0 / +120.  It takes a lot of time, work and pain to break down the scar tissue.

After that, you have to rebuild all the strength in your legs, glutes and core.  That alone could take six months because it has to be done slowly.  You cannot push a knee...period.  Click on my picture for more discussions of all types including the exercising and stair climbing. 

Just remember... No comparisons.  Own your recovery. 

• Posted

Thanks Chico Marx, great advice, sometimes you get a little lost when doing this on you own!
  • Posted

I think you are ahead of the game and doing great! I was barely walking at that point although my bend was 115 I could not walk like you,

Everyone heals differently. Be ready for some serious physio, but you sound great, best wishes!

• Posted

Sounds like you bend is slightly better than mine even though I am walking quite a bit. I actually find that walking relieves that nagging ache down the leg. Thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Hi Midge... I had my TKR on 5/5 , so just over 3 weeks.

Started outpatient PT this week. Bend is slightly more than 90, extension ok.

Still taking pain meds at night and when I work it hard stretching or before PT.

Been walking around 1/2 mile a day. Sounds like we're on the same path. My PT told me not to push it to the point where it hurts so bad. Just stretch it 2 or 3 times a day around ten times and hold it. After stretching monday they did have me up to 104 degrees. I stopped wearing the fashionable legwear this week !! I'll be following your progress but you sound like you're doing fine!

• Posted

Thanks a million for your reply, it does sound like we are on par. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
  • Posted

You should not compare your recovery or progress with others . Everyone is different . It is important to do your physio as much as possible , but don't over do it . Follow advice of your Dr and physio . Moisturise your knee to help with scar healing . After 19½ and 17½ years both my knees are great and I have had no problems with them .

• Posted

Well I can only say that 12 days post op I wasn't walking ANYWHERE near that amount!!!!  I was resting and elevating and icing and concentrating on letting it heal, as well as doing bending exercises.  But there isn't such a thing as 'on target' with this - it affects everyone differently.  I sailed through my TKR more or less painlessly but never did as much walking as that.  I wonder if you're causing more swelling so giving yourself more pain.  My general exercise started VERY gently on the recumbent bike at just before three weeks, when I was SO pleased I'd done four whole rotations of the pedals LOL! 

My hospital said we should wear the compression stockings (to just under the knee - they are the ones that give the best protection against a clot) for six weeks, but said it was OK for me to discard mine at 5 because I was so active on the bike and treadmill by then (still only doing 7 minutes on bike and 7 minutes on treadmill a day), but generally active too.  But I'd follow the advice of your hospital.  I can understand your feelings on the stockings - waiting for my appointment for my next knee I'm thinking 'oh boy - this hot weather - they're going to be uncomfortable especially in bed' but then figured out I'm going to use my chillow pillow that you can put in the fridge and then in the bed, and it draws the heat away from the body, so that will go under my lower legs!

But do look after yourself:-))))

• Posted

Thanks Chris00938, very helpful because I don't want to do too much and cause complications. The response to my query has been great and really helpful, so thanks a million.

• Posted

Congratulation. Wear the tights for whatever your surgeon and hospital has told you to.
  • Posted

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly. I need my other knee replacing and so struggle to walk because of that one. Are you off crutches too? My suggestion is to listen to your body. I f it swells I know I have pushed it. My physio said  it causes more damage if you walk with an incorrect gait. It's better to go slow and short distances and work correctly. Good luck and you are doing brilliantly. 

• Posted

Definitely not off the crutches and won't be for a while yet. Like you I also need ynother knee done and find the crutches a great support. I do find great relief in walking though and lots of ice!

• Posted

Everybody is different but i think your doing fine especially with your walking i wasnt doing anywhere near as much as that so early on but my bend is 115 everyone is different. I stopped wearing the socks when i finished the blood thinning injections which was 5 weeks. After about 3 weeks you will notice a reduction in your pain as the first 2 to 3 weeks are the worst. Just keep taking your meds which will make physio easier to do and dont compare yourself to others and you will be fine.

Take care

• Posted

Great thanks. It's great hearing from everyone, and hearing how everyone is doing. I do find that my lower back is aching from all the sitting and lying around 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.