how much longer L5 s1

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've suffered with (apparant) siatica with once a year bk goes and can't move lasts 24 hours but then go bk to normal,this stared after I had daughter in 2009.on boxing day it litrally went!! Doctor said siatica again signed me off work,a week later I'm in gp totally numb down below and in constant pain,so sent to hospital had mri confirmed prolapse off l5s1 by 10 mm and touching nerve that's why numb and in so much pain,any sined consent they was operating in the am,so come am surgeon came round and decided not to wait 4 weeks. ( no beds in spinal department) sent home with pregablin,tramadol.nephopam and signed of 4 weeks,..........3 weeks in I can do 10 min walk but in agony next day,so I slipped outside last night,instant pain,woke I can't walk,and to top it of went downstairs and my legs went and fell down 2 steps,really don't want to go a&e,sick off not being able to work,school runs feel totall useless

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you fell down the stairs I would of called an ambulance. Can't ignore you then!
  • Posted

Hi

I feel your pain.

I had surgery on a L5 S1 two weeks ago.

But when I was in absolute agony I went to my local physio for a few appointments and she sorted me out.

Also I would advice anyone with back back to get a tens machine they take the edge of the pain and only cost like £15-£20

Good luck

• Posted

Hi, phone your GP, the hospital has to act on their information, if you need an operation then go for it, tell your GP your at home and cannot manage the stairs. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi,sorry for delay,I never went a&e I couldn't see point when back on Monday to see surgeon anyway lived in pain for 4 weeks so far,its not just a bit of pain some days I'm walking like an ape as my legs hurt so much,I don't seem to be getting any relief from painkillers,I concidered going physio but seriously can't afford it 45 ssp from 2 jobs lol,I phoned gp though and he said come up surgery I will check you out.....I can't walk and he couldn't understand this,I have an husband and a 5 yr old that are getting frustrated to now.and what if I go bk next week and they say let's see if phsio or other meds work,how do I live in mean time like this........sorry for the rant
    • Posted

I know the feeling the pain is horific! I Had too demand Somthing was done. I finally had surgery nearly three weeks ago.

Like I said a tens machine took some of the edge off the pain for me. it's worth a try!

• Posted

Hi,how long was you suffering before the surgery?will givevtens another go,think I will lick myself in surgeons room I'll he does something,had really bad night again hardly any sleep,
    • Posted

Morning!

Defo worth a try can get them from lloyds pharmacy for £10-£15. Also I used ice compression.

I've had it on and off for 8 years (since I was 18) but didn't really go to the doctors as they were useless!!

had my worst bout of pain last summer and though enough is enough and demanded somthing was done!! Im really lucky that the NHS sent me private and it was all done under 5 months. I would of taken a loan out and paid for it myself if needs be I was that bad.

Hang in there I can defo relate to your pain it's horrible but you will over come it.

• Posted

I've actually just looked this am about going private......7980.... no way,

Just really hope they soet somat monday,they was doin op when I was in on 6 th jan I signed consent etc but was no beds,friend as one, is ok for nerve pain though,thanks corinne

• Posted

I piad £6,700 in Cardiff. worth every penny, now the pain has gone.
    • Posted

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, this is mostly an NHS forum anglo, glad you're out of pain buddy but most of us aren't interested how much you paid to go private. Keep the figures out and the good news in, take care and good luck for the future.
    • Posted

Good old nhs for me,don't have spare money for private.but good for u
    • Posted

Someone who is paying £7,980 might be interested!

I put mine on a credit card and my consultants fees were paid by  Benenden £8.19 per month. I dont have any spare cash, but being self employed I  cant spend the next 18 months being in pain waiting for an operation.

• Posted

Hey, hang in there. Unfortunately hubby's in it for better and for worse and there could be a lot more to come, there's no quick-fix Dugsy. I'm not kidding, it could be months or longer so prepare yourself. My advice is keep mobile if possible and dont push it, then get stuck into your GP for some injections if your not improving, good luck.
    • Posted

Hi joe,hubby as been left in charge of most of household duties lol.would injections work as its all the nerve pain which is worse now! I really can't imagine being like this in 3 months its asnt eased one bit,and from falling twice other day I'm sure I've now got further damage
    • Posted

Hey Dugsy, there is no guarantee of injections working just as there is no guarantee of an operation working. Epidural steroid injections are specifically designed for nerve root pain, their aim is to calm the nerve down whilst the body is trying eat away at prolapsed part of the disc. Try to calm your mind a little Dugsy as your condition is likely to last a while i'm afraid. Good luck and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.