How much pain/stiffness relief is "enough"

Posted , 4 users are following.

Currently at 6.6 mg/day medrol. I've been reducing around 10% every thirty to forty days. I've never been totally pain/stiffness free since the first wonderfully marvelous relief at 20mg. Each time I reduce it seems that there is a subtle increase in pain/stiffness. My current level is definitely bearable, but is that a correct criterion?

I often read that dosage should be sufficient to "relieve symptoms". Could a knowledgeable person clarify this?

My concern is whether still having pain/stiffness means that PMR is permanently damaging muscles. Do I need enough medrol to totally receive symptoms in order to assure no permanent damage?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

PMR doesn't really damage muscles - it probably affects the blood flow by inflaming the walls of the small blood vessels. 

It is really what you can live with - and whether it improves through the day I suppose. But if  you are saying it is increasing it would suggest you are about at the dose you are looking for.

But you have complained in the past about no longer being able to exercise as you used to. Maybe that is a natural process due to age rather than just the PMR?

• Posted

Thanks for the information, Eileen. I will continue reducing slowly.

As to the aging factor in aerobic capability, it certainly could be an element. My experience tells me that the rapid reduction is probably not aging, but almost entirely PMR.

• Posted

I've wondered that myself, and my solution, such as it is, is to wait it out and not attempt to reduce further until I feel as well as I did at the beginning of current taper.  Over time I think I've kept things pretty stable, but certainly not as terrific as the first weeks on pred - but that was exceptional and I wouldn't expect to maintain that.  I'm at 2 mg, but every few days I've taken an extra .5.  The gap between feeling the need for the little boost has been widening, and it's been twelve days since the last. 

I'm more concerned about pred causing muscle weakening especially as I was never a very strong person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.