How much walking should I be doing 6 - 7 weeks post op ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a big toe fusion and hammer toe surgery 6 weeks ago on my right foot.  I had the pin removed from my toe on Friday and was told the fusion in the big toe is still not fully fused but not to be duly concerned - I too have found difficulty in walking as both toes are slightly elevated from the floor at present.  As the doctor has suggested I start to walk normally as possible I attempted a dog walk today just to the end of the road and back.  On my return my foot over the big toe scar was so sore and had become really swollen - this I might add was whilst wearing my surgical shoe as I just can't get any normal shoes on!   I think I am beginning to panic as I was hoping I may be able to return to work within next 3 weeks - am I expecting too much too soon ?

This morning I have woken up and my toes feel so stiff and my leg is cramping - think I may have done too much !  Your thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm feeling a bit fed up today ! I think I feel I should be doing more then I am doing at this stage. I was hoping I might be able to drive now too but just big sure in going to manage that in the near future 

_ 0 F g < reply to pinksasparilla

reply="" to="" pinksasparilla="">

>

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pinksasparilla.

Everything you describe is exactly all that I experinced and so, you need not fear.

I am certain you are bang on track with your recovery as long as you pace yourself and don't push yourselkf too far, too much, to soon

The footwear will son come rit and you may begin to gently experiment with your shoes to find which pair(s) you can comfortably manage. But, it does take quite a while as the fot will not bend properly and be, as you describe very stiff. Just watch how your other foot bends when puttng on a shoe. It's actually amazing that it needs to bend quite a lot to get into a shoe I found that my Gabor ballet flats were the easiest  to get on  because they are lower cut than some of my other shoes. Whatever you do, don't force your poorl foot into shoes if it tells you it clearly doesn't want to wear one.

When walking try to focus your attention into getting the gait of your waing correct rather than trying to focus on the speed of your walking. I realised soon enough that this is what I needed to do and it was a wise move.

Good Luck! You sound to have a good GP.

Gillian.

• Posted

I was signed off for ten weeks after having bunion op I did go back earlier though. I didn't find walking with the boot a problem. I missed due to their error my appointment two weeks ago so have started walking without the boot for a bit of the day. I have not got full movement I go back today for my X-ray so fingers crossed all is ok. I had my op on June 1st it is a long process and age prior mobility all affect the recovery. 
  • Posted

Hi 

I had my operation ( a double) so on both feet back on the 13th March, it's been a long and rather painful journey for me too and I'm still unconvinced that my right toe has healed properly as I still experience a lot of discomfort.

however I did manage to wear Trainers ( sneakers if you are from the US) and have now progressed to a really comfy pair of attractive foot glove sandals. I went back to work after 10 weeks but on reduced hours and still work 2 days a week at home, my only advice would be keep your foot up as much as you possibly can and keep cooling it down ( an ice boot is fabulous) it does get easier, put a date in your diary for another 12 weeks time and compare how you feel now once you get there, my surgeon says it can take a year before everything is fully settled and healed.......good luck sue

• Posted

I am 5-6 YEARS out from double bunionectomy. One foot done 2008 and the other 2009. Screws were removed both feet over the course of these 5-6 years, most recently just this summer, due to the screws coming up enough to cause discomfort. I still find that my big toes do not bend completely and touch the ground. Perhaps I didn't do enough of the post-op physical therapy, bending and stretching of the ligaments. I think if you follow those instructions religiously, you should get a better range of motion going eventually for your big toe. Take your time, don't rush things. I've been able to return to total and complete regular exercises, power walking, light jogging (and I'm not a runner) without pain or any other issues. I think the worst time I have is having to explain the scars on my toes and the tops of my feet to pedicure technicians! It's so fun to get my toes prettied up without being judged for the huge bunions I used to have!
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone who has kindly replied .  It is so reassuring to read your comments - they are really helpful. 
  • Posted

I am late to reply, but I figure every answer helps. I had bunion and mallet toe surgery on June 17. My big toe still is sticking up. I've been doing physical therapy for 5 weeks now. Started bike riding after I started PT; they gave me the ok to do it. I only have one pair of New Balance tennies that I can wear. They have a huge toe box!! I call them my clown shoes. smile  I have wide toe hiking boots and did a 1 1/2 mile hike a few weeks ago. I went very very slow and tried to use proper form. I usually hike fast, but that doesn't work at this point. I got a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon last week and he thinks I am being impatient. It takes time. He said that some people take a full year to recover from bunion surgery. My bunion area is fine, but my big toe has arthritis and that hurts. I'm dealing with that now. Good luck and try to be patient.
  • Posted

I am reading a lot about post op exercises and ligament stretching I was not given any exercises should I be doing some? I do waggle my toes and stretch my foot up and down but nothing proper

chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.