How much water do you drink?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I would really appreciate as many of you as possible to answer this question and of course I have a reason. How much water do you drink each day?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you mean just plain water? I can't remember the last time I drank plain water. It's been at the very least 20 years. If you mean in other beverages then about 4 cups (32 oz).
    • Posted

Lisa, I should have been clearer and yes I did mean just plain water with nothing added.
  • Posted

Then that would be over 20 years at the very least. I don't like the taste.
    • Posted

I don't like the taste of it either which is why I don't drink it (except with a little whiskey) but every few months I realise I have aching ankles,  knees and hands when I first get out of bed and it finally dawns on me that I am dehydrated. 

Within three or four days of drinking a couple of litres a day those aches and pains all but disappear.

But - and this is the exciting bit - my RLS also reduces signifcantly. I have observed this a couple of times now and my RLS is much better when I am reasonably hydrated.

Give it a try for a week. Drink a couple of litres a day for a week and see if it makes a difference. It certainly does for me and it makes sense, becuase we are mostly water and it is critical to cell function.

Let us know how you go.

• Posted

I have never heard this before. Thanks for posting. I will give it a try and post how I do.
    • Posted

I hadn't heard of water making a difference to RLS it just came about though personal observation. I hope it works for you,
    • Posted

I suffer severe rls and for the past year I've also noticed quite severe pains in my hands, arms, legs and buttocks especially in the night which often keeps me awake. I already take solpodol for a back problem so am reluctant to take more painkillers in the night. I will definitely try the water theory. .I do drink loads of tea but no plain water exept a few sips with my painkillers. Thanks for the advice. .hope it helps.
  • Posted

I have heard a theory that drinking plain water might be beneficial but it didn't work for me.  I am assuming your question is to show that drinking water rather than other liquids is beneficial.

Do you mean to cease drinking other liquids and only drink water or adding water to the diet?

No-one has offered any reason why water becomes undesirable because I add some tea or coffee to it.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Graham, I meant adding a couple of litres of water each day - just plain water - in addition to any other liquids you consume. It has made a hell of a lot of difference to my RLS and general aches and pains and that makes some sense because we are mostly water and it is vital for all cell activity. I just don't much like drinking water but it works for me. I have  a glass on my desk as I write. Cheers

Trevor.

• Posted

I have been asking my dietician for help with introducing foods after being  on the Fodmap diet but she just tells me to drink more water.  If 1 litre doesn't work, drink two.  I haven't got up to two yet.  I think drinking coffee dehydrates us, and stopping caffine reduces RLS so there may be a link between RLS and dehydration.
    • Posted

Everything I read says two litres is the minumum and three is better. I am drinking about 2.5. It does take effort but it becomes easier.
    • Posted

That sounds so stupid.   I dont know how these people get qualified.  First question is "did the FODMAP diet help with the RLS?"

The re-introduction of foods is the hard part (one of them) for the diet and requires the dietician to help you.   The aim is to determine which of the FODMAPS your are intolerant of and then you should find that some of them you can tolerate in small amounts.   So you need help with this.   What does the dietician think the diet is about.   Does e believe that going on your diet for 6 weeks is a permanent cure and then you just eat all the foods your body rejects and drink lots of water???

You need a new dietician.   I have tried about 2.5 litres of water per day for a few weeks and it did no harm but I couldnt feel any improvement either so I gave up.   I probably normally drink a half litre of water a day plus about 20 cups of decaffinated tea with lactose free milk.    I remember what real tea tastes like with real milk.    AAAAh so good.   But I rather sleep all night!

Maybe I'll go back to drinking hot water instead of tea and see what happens.   After all if you have felt a definite improvement there must be something to it.

Problem is that my RLS give very little trouble these days but perhaps if I drink water I can expand my diet.    I am stuck on the FODMAP exclusion diet.   Every time I try to expand I get RLS coming back.   I have tried a couple of useless dieticians and I know one who I think has experience with FODMAP but I just can't find time to see her.    Bad excuse   I'll make an appointment tomorrow.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

This seems rather complex. I drink 2 litres of fluids minimum and whatever diuretic (tea, coffee etc) is not counted. Mineral water is better as there are less chemicals than tap water which is dosed with chlorine and fluorode. I will only drink it after boiling.

What type of water are you drinking? Perhaps a mineral or chemical is helping your RLS.

A major problem of RLS is that people react differently.

• Posted

I have a water tank so am able to drink rain water.

I can't drink much decaffinated coffee or tea either without getting RLS.  

I can have a couple a week :-(

• Posted

I'm in Australia   Sue your refernce to tank water makes me wonder if your are also in Aus?
    • Posted

I should have said people that I don't drink water from plastic containers and I don't drink town water. I too am on tank water (South Gippsland) and twice filtered at that, so that purity might make a difference.
    • Posted

It seems reasonable that if some foods can trigger RLS then other chemicals taken by mouth could do the same

distilled water in 

glass bottles might be the answer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.